What's new

Apple to Offer Unlocked iPhone 5 Online From Tonight in US

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]
8270-iphone-5-1.JPG

According to a report on 9to5 Mac today, Apple is to start selling unlocked iPhone 5 handsets in its US online store from this evening. The news comes via 9to5 Mac’s retail source, who says that the unlocked iPhone 5 will be available at the following price points: $649, $749 and $849 for the 16GB, 32GB and 64GB handsets respectively. It seems that at present these unlocked iPhone 5s will only be available online, as 9to5 Mac says that they will not be available in Apple’s retail stores just yet, although the source has told them that they will soon be available in the stores, they just don’t have the exact date yet. It must be very soon, though, as apparently the handsets have already been delivered to the stores. 9to5 Mac also notes that Apple is about to extend its Apple Store Personal Pickup service so that customers can now reserve items at any time, rather than only after 10pm, which is how it is at present. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Source:[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Apple to start selling unlocked iPhone 5 through online store as soon as tonight in the U.S., retail stores soon | 9to5Mac[/FONT]

I see the US is following Canada's lead here. I ordered mine from the online AppleStore in Canada as soon as they were released. iPhones sold in the online store in Canada have always been unlocked.

Hello. I was just told by Apple Sales on the 800 number that this part number iPhone 5, which shows up when I choose the factory unlocked SIM free black/slate 16GB model has all three cell/wireless technologies built in (the CDMA and both GSM A1428 and A1429).

I am interested in buying the A1429.

Who is more tech savvy than I? Can someone comfirm that I will be buying model A1429 if I buy part number MD2933LL/A?

How can one phone contain all three technologies? The sales blurb says this phone will not work with CDMA carriers. Does that mean the technology is included but blocked somehow?

Thanks all.

Apple Tech Support on the 800 number also had to do some checking that took quite a while. In the end, the guy said yes, that this part number MD2933LL/A has the GSM A1429 technology in it.

Seems strange to me that this question is so difficult. Is it me? I expected the Tech guy to say yes right off the bat!