What's new

App Backup

dabonz

Reaction score
Hi,

Quick Question The Programs that you purchased fron Cydia I guess iTunes don't back them up...I like purchased like 6 apps from Cydia How would I back thise up if I my phone ever goes down ?

Thanks
Dabonz

You can use something like xBackup or PKGBackup. From experience both have done their job just fine. You'd create a backup of your tweaks (they can also backup your AppStore data as well) and your repositories (if necessary), then backup your phone to iTunes. The archive file that holds the backup will be backed up through iTunes. I personally don't trust iTunes enough with it, so I recommend manually backing up the archive in the directory that it's saved. The backup packages will tell you exactly where you can find the archive if you were to SSH/root your device.

They do run you another few dollars, but if you have a ton of tweaks like I do, sometimes it's easier to just back them up and restore them all at once instead of trying to remember which tweaks you've gotten or which tweaks you've deleted and such. Not to mention you'd have to sift through the packages and queue them up one at a time to install at once. The utilities would restore them all in one swoop, with only a reboot after the restore is done.

Ok I gather those 2 Backup Apps are for purchase which one would you recommend xBackup? or PKGBackup? << that 1 is $9 bucks. Also you mention something about SSH/root my device what you mean by that ? Also I can SSH via putty ?

Thanks
Dabonz

They both do their job. PKGBackup does a bit more work and has a better UI in my opinion, but ultimately, if you just want to backup your tweaks, xBackup does the job just fine.

SSH/Rooting means that you access the root directory or the system files of your device, much like the "My Computer" or your "C drive" on your computer. It allows you to access the "behind the scenes" that's available from jailbreaking your device (you cannot/have limited root access when you're not jailbroken). You can most certainly use PuTTy to SSH into a device, but PuTTy would be to run commands usually. If you want file management, something like WinSCP, CyberDuck, iExplorer, iFunBox are all computer-based utilities that you can use to SSH/Root your device, allowing you to have an actual UI where you can see the files and drag/drop them like you would normally be able to on your computer.

Ok Thank You Kindly for your info much appreciated

Regards
Dabonz

No problem. Shop around for a few other utilities and see which one suits your needs. Overall, they all do the same, which is backup your tweaks, and reinstalls them all with their settings on a one-click basis, just that some have a slight twist like repo backup, AppStore data backup, etc.