What's new

Anybody tried their 3rd party charging cables

I have a generic 6' cable from Amazon plugged into my Limefuel external battery pack. Both charged the phone just fine yesterday.

I use one in my car that I bought from five below for $5. Used it for my 5s and now for the 6. Works just fine. They come in many colors as well.

I bought some $1.00 lightning cables at the flea market. These cables will charge the iphone, but not an iPad Air. These cheap lightning cables for some reason charge the iPhone very slow - at least twice the time vs. using the factory cable.

I then tried some amazon basics lightning cables, which charge the iPhone at the same speed as the OEM cable, and also charges the iPad Air.

I'm still trying to figure how the iPhone is detecting OEM cables and aftermarket cables. I know other cables for various other electronics use a Dallas one-wire IC to validate the cable. Makes me wonder how apple is doing this.

I bought some $1.00 lightning cables at the flea market. These cables will charge the iphone, but not an iPad Air. These cheap lightning cables for some reason charge the iPhone very slow - at least twice the time vs. using the factory cable.

I then tried some amazon basics lightning cables, which charge the iPhone at the same speed as the OEM cable, and also charges the iPad Air.

I'm still trying to figure how the iPhone is detecting OEM cables and aftermarket cables. I know other cables for various other electronics use a Dallas one-wire IC to validate the cable. Makes me wonder how apple is doing this.
There's a chip built into the Lightning connector in an Apple charging cable. It's this chip that's used to authenticate genuine cables.

I got rid of the cheap ones I bought because they were too much trouble. I use the ones from Amazon basic now because I can't stand white cables all over the place.

Funny thing that I just read this because now my third party doesn't work. This sucks because I don't have my oem in my work truck

I got Griffin's 3 meter charging cable. Been using it for a couple of weeks now. They seem durable considering the cable's thicker than that of Apple's.. I recommend you get Griffin :p

Last edited:
I'm using the Apple cable that came with the new iPhone 6. It works fine plugged into the charger, but fails with the unsupported accessory error every time I plug it into my computer's USB port. I've tried different different USB ports and multiple computers, and they all do the same thing...It still sync's but will not charge.

I'm also seeing corrupted songs every time I sync. (you can tell because they are greyed out in iTunes). I have to delete all the songs off my phone, then re-sync again to fix it. Pretty annoying. Never had this problem with my i5 on iOS 7.x

As for 3rd party cables, it's the exact same thing. Charges fine plugged into power, but fails every time plugged into the computer.

Have you taken it in to an Apple store @Voidths. Sounds like it might be an issue with the phone, if an apple cable is causing the same issue. I would be interested to hear how you resolve the problem, if you are able to.

I'm using the Apple cable that came with the new iPhone 6. It works fine plugged into the charger, but fails with the unsupported accessory error every time I plug it into my computer's USB port. I've tried different different USB ports and multiple computers, and they all do the same thing...It still sync's but will not charge.

I'm also seeing corrupted songs every time I sync. (you can tell because they are greyed out in iTunes). I have to delete all the songs off my phone, then re-sync again to fix it. Pretty annoying. Never had this problem with my i5 on iOS 7.x

As for 3rd party cables, it's the exact same thing. Charges fine plugged into power, but fails every time plugged into the computer.

Have you taken it in to an Apple store @Voidths. Sounds like it might be an issue with the phone, if an apple cable is causing the same issue. I would be interested to hear how you resolve the problem, if you are able to.
Have you tried the charging cord with any other iPhone or iPad? If it works with them it would support the theory that the problem is with your iPhone, not with the cord or the computers. If you don't have another device to test it with, you could try it with a friends iPhone or iPad.

Since your new iPhone 6 is still under warranty it would be replaced or repaired free of charge for any hardware issues. If you live close enough to an Apple Store, you should make a Genius Bar appointment and have a full diagnostic run on both the iPhone 6 and it's charging cord.