What's new

Charging may not be supported by this accesory popup?

RedAlert

Reaction score
I just got my new Iphone 6 the other day and it has worked awesome until I tried my new extended length cable tonight. I bought a non apple cable due to apples insane price for a 6ft cable. When I plugged it in, I got this pop up, and the phone wouldn't charge. I unplugged the cable, waited 5 seconds and plugged it back in. It started to charge and no error.

My question is, will the non apple cable hurt my new 6? I am using apples wall adapter, so I wouldn't think over or undercurrent would be an issue, I just don't want to destroy a $500 dollar phone while trying to save $20 on a cable.

My take on using third party cables is that I spend hundreds of pounds on my iPhone so no way will i risk cheaper cables just to save a few pounds, I always use Apple cables on my Apple devices.

DC voltage is more sensitive to distance than AC voltage. It's so important when buying a longer cable to get an apple certified cable or to look at other end user reviews prior to purchase.

Apple certified cables do have a more superior construction and are made out of higher quality materials that yield a cable which not only charges your phone better but will also last longer.

It's possible the cable is making a good connection but due to the length the amperage drop is so much it's not registering as charging. This is similar to plugging an iPad into a lower amperage iPhone charger where it is indeed charger but as a much slower rate. If you leave it plugged in for an hour you may find it charge your battery by a few percentage. It's possible it could damage your phone by being internally miswired but if this is the case your phone would have been already fried.