What's new

help!- 2 original lighning cables stop working

geb724

Reaction score
i have an iphone 5 that is a little over 12 months old. a few weeks ago the lighting cable (that was supplied by apple with the phone) stopped charging the phone. i tried different wall adapters with the same result- no charge. also, when i plug it into the pc it is not recognized. so i used my dads lightning cable from his ipad air that is only 2 weeks old so the cable is apple and brand new. that too stopped working. so now my cable and my dad's (boy is he pissed) do not work at all. i've read about some issues with after market/generic cables but these are original from apple. what's going on?

It may be an issue with your outlet current causing a short in your cable. Instead of plugging them throguh an outlet, see if plugging either cables to a computer allows you to charge/sync either devices. Otherwise, you can bring your dad's back to Apple and they'll replace it with a fresh one. The 1-year warranty covers all items that comes in the box, whether it be the device itself, the adapter, the cable, the headphones, etc.

plugging into pc does nothing. pc doesn't even recognize device. leads me to be believe the cable is ruined. but why? is the phone causing the cable to not work anymore? maybe apple will know.

Uninstall your USB drivers, reboot your computer and retry. Also try firmly pushing the lightning cable into the port or reversing it to the other side. Also check for debris that may be in the port. If you're using a USB hub, detail it, or, if you're not using the rear chassis USB ports, try that as well after the reboot. Also perform a hard reset of both devices prior to trying. That would eliminate software related issues.

i do a hard reset every morning after powering down at night. already tried troubleshooting my pc (i.e.- usb drivers), and using different ports. makes no difference what i use. even on a different computer the same issue exists. and this goes for the phone and the ipad air. and the cable is clean of all grease/dirt/debris. reversing it does nothing. cables just not working. ugh!

Then you might want to check out the current running through your house with a volt/ammeter combo. If one wire is shorted then, then the second followed it undergoing the same conditions, then it's your outlet's issue, and wouldn't be the device or the cables.

thanks for the suggestion about the outlets. i used my ohmmeter and it measured 120v at the outlet i usually use. i tested another outlet and it was the same. so that rules out the potential outlet issue. stumped.

Are you saying that after you used your dad's cable on your phone that it won't work on his phone anymore? If so, then I have no suggestions beyond what's already been said. Otherwise it sounds like a problem with the phone, not the cables.

that's right. the cables don't work on any device. i kinda thought it was the phone all along since 2 original apple cables no longer work at all after attaching to my phone. guess i'll bring into apple.