What's new

iPhone 5 charging issue

muelgrub

Reaction score
I have a JB iPhone 5 running iOS 6.1. I've been using a 3rd party car charge and an Apple cable without any problems in my car for months. Now, all of a sudden, when I plug the phone into the charger I get one of those "charging is not supported with this accessory" message. Don't know why, it worked perfectly for months.
Any ideas?
thanks

I dun know much about this glitch but i recommend replacing the cable as soon as possible.

I dun know much about this glitch but i recommend replacing the cable as soon as possible.

It's not the cable. I've used 2 and both are Apple cables and work with other chargers. I thought it might be the 3rd part car charger, but it worked fine for months, that's what I don't understand

Most likely it is the voltage regulator circuit in the car charger. The discreet components can get out of tolerance as the device expands and contracts due to the cooling/heating cycle of being in your car. If you have a very good digital voltmeter (.01 precision) odds are you will find that the voltage is either at greater than 5.2 volts or less than 4.8 volts now. Which would trip the voltage detection circuit on the iPhone.

Most likely it is the voltage regulator circuit in the car charger. The discreet components can get out of tolerance as the device expands and contracts due to the cooling/heating cycle of being in your car. If you have a very good digital voltmeter (.01 precision) odds are you will find that the voltage is either at greater than 5.2 volts or less than 4.8 volts now. Which would trip the voltage detection circuit on the iPhone.

Interesting! Would a new Apple charger make a difference, or would the same thing happen eventually regardless of whose charger I use?

Interesting! Would a new Apple charger make a difference, or would the same thing happen eventually regardless of whose charger I use?

The time it takes to fail is dependent on the quality and tolerance of the components used in the device. Apple tends to error on the side of "last for as long as possible".

Best advice I can give, after being an electronic tech for the last 28 years, is keep the charger out of direct sunlight. That will greatly help with keeping the temperature swings to a minimum. Which in turn helps with longevity.

I have the same problem with 3 different chargers and 2 different cables. It seems to have started when i upgraded my ios. Mine has to be seated several times to start the charging process. I have not been to the store yet. I will post my results.

Would i buy another iPhone ? HELLL YEA !

I have replaced my phone and the problem is fixed. IOS 7 Sucks.

Nope...ever since i updated to iO7 my iphone says incorrect charging accessory also. Even with official apple charging wires. And battery life has diminished