What's new

iPhone 5 cables

Bossman

Reaction score
First of all I need to make sure everyone knows where I stand on Apple. I love the iPhone, iPad etc and have both. I don't hate other platforms as its each to their own.

I came across one issue about three days after getting my iPhone 5 which does annoy me. It appears Apple have built a chip into the USB charging/synch cable to prevent 3rd party items from working. But, Apple are not offering any of their cables for sale at the moment which means I need to carry my cable around with me!

On my 3GS I had the Apple cable plus a couple of cheap 3rd party ones elsewhere for charging especially at work. This limits me somewhat with my iPhone 5 as I travel quite a lot and power is not always handy. I know Apple like to control but isn't this a little too much control?

Bossman

This isn't about control. So lets remove that line of thought from the table.

The Lightning connector is a capable of going in to the iPhone 5 turned either way. How does the iPhone 5 know where the V+ (5 volt positive) line is on the 8 pins so it can start charging without something to identify which pin will be hot? The only way is to have a chip.

BTW; don't blame Apple for this. Blame all the users that loved the Macbook charging system and demanded it for the iPhone.

Ok. Understood. Afraid I don't agree with one thing though. I don't know anyone that was insisting on a lightening connector and we use macs at work. If mini USB was used it will only fit one way.

Bossman

Those lightning cables are available from Apple.com. Mine arrived today ordered on the 12th

My opinion on the new cable, is why did we not get faster data transfer speeds? Granted the new cable is pretty, and it seems to charge the phone rather quickly, but change for the sake of changes somewhat pointless

Hey questions of those who are more knowledgeable on this than I am, is there potential for faster data speeds down the line on this thing or is it stuck with just USB 2.0?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

The iPhone 5 is my first Apple product and I am very impressed with the speed of the charging = I am very happy Apple switched the pin on the cable :)

I think what most people are missing is that they changed cables to make the connection smaller. That is really the only reason they changed it. I get the frustration, particularly if you invested a lot in accessories but as it has been around for so long I can accept it a bit easier.

I ordered a spare cable the day the phone was released so I could leave one next to my bed and have one in the office. The phone is due to arrive tomorrow (was originally due October 5th). The cable was originally due October 15th but actually arrived a couple of days ago. I think $19 is a bit steep but I can live with it until the 3rd party cables start to arrive on scene.

davva360 said:
I think what most people are missing is that they changed cables to make the connection smaller. That is really the only reason they changed it. I get the frustration, particularly if you invested a lot in accessories but as it has been around for so long I can accept it a bit easier.

I ordered a spare cable the day the phone was released so I could leave one next to my bed and have one in the office. The phone is due to arrive tomorrow (was originally due October 5th). The cable was originally due October 15th but actually arrived a couple of days ago. I think $19 is a bit steep but I can live with it until the 3rd party cables start to arrive on scene.

That, and the fact that the old 30 pin connector has been around for some time and many of the connections are now redundant on their more recent devices.

Exactly, and the cables are available. I got two from Apple and one from a guy on eBay all came in yesterday so actually I have one extra now.

Apple is showing delivery dates in October but I got my tracking number on Friday or Saturday saying it had been shipped and was to be delivered today. But it showed up yesterday.

Just a heads up - Signature required or use the release form, it will come with your tracking number.

Wha I don't like is having to get adapters for all my devices.. $30 each.... I'm not switching...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wha I don't like is having to get adapters for all my devices.. $30 each.... I'm not switching...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Fine, that's your decision of course but technology will leave you behind. Right now you're OK but you are going to have to change your mind eventually.

I ordered 2 cables and 2 adapters from Apple on 9-12 and got the cables 9-19, the adapters won't ship until next month. It is annoying that they switched to the lightening but the old 30 pin as been around for years and was showing it's age. I do have an iPad 2, iPhone 4 and now an iPhone 5 so now I have to keep two different cables in my bag with me... not a huge deal because they are small but still a little annoying. The only accessory I have is a proclip with a charging base in my car so now I'll have to order a new base with charger; I consider myself lucky because I'm sure there are tons of people that have a bunch of accessories that will not work until they get that adapter and that's IF the adapter will work with those accessories. From now on I'd expect all of their new devices to have the lightening port so the 30 pins will eventually be phased out, it's just one of those things where it's really never a good time to make the change so might as well do it and get it over with.

I used to have more docks around the house but since Airplay was added I found myself not using them so I packed the surround sound dock away and my iphone 4 dock too. The only one I may want to replace is the alarm clock radio I have next to the bed. I just like the convenience of having it there and I use it every night.

First of all I need to make sure everyone knows where I stand on Apple. I love the iPhone, iPad etc and have both. I don't hate other platforms as its each to their own.

I came across one issue about three days after getting my iPhone 5 which does annoy me. It appears Apple have built a chip into the USB charging/synch cable to prevent 3rd party items from working. But, Apple are not offering any of their cables for sale at the moment which means I need to carry my cable around with me!

On my 3GS I had the Apple cable plus a couple of cheap 3rd party ones elsewhere for charging especially at work. This limits me somewhat with my iPhone 5 as I travel quite a lot and power is not always handy. I know Apple like to control but isn't this a little too much control?

Bossman

Now you got me worried, I have just bought one on ebay and my iphone 5 may arrive in one or two weeks, so I will be in no position to test it.