What's new

Any feedback about iOS 5.0.1 update?

Bluering

Reaction score
I am updating mine right now, I would like to hear form those who have updated already if they have noticed any improvements?

I updated mine & it was at 90% battery when I was finished updating. I read some emails, sent a few texts, talked a few minutes & in 2 hours it was still at 90%. Normally it would be at 82-84% by then. So it seems it fixed my battery life. I'll test it more today, playing games & listening to Pandora Radio.

My battery seems to be working better. Today will be the real test.

I updated OTA as soon as I found a wifi spot. Experienced absolutely no issues, as a matter of fact I was a bit surprised that it only took about 19 minutes from start to finish, sitting in the parking lot of a hotel using their wifi connection. As far as a battery fix, I'll find out today. I didn't really monitor the battery after update because I wanted to go ahead and let the phone go ahead and "die". So I could have a 0-100 charge.

Special K, cause I'm special, duh!!!

So far seems to be MUCH better.. At least for me.. It seems to be better than my 3GS which was quite bad .. I would say my usage today has been normal, sitting at 85% although I will do a full cycle test tomorrow as I didnt update till around 9am this morning..

Certainly when in standby the battery does not seem to drop by much at all which is what you would expect ..

Chris

Mine seems worse. Unpluged for 2h 13 m used for 52 min and is at 88% already. Before I could unplug at 7:30am and almost always be at 80-84% by noon with same usage as today. For me the update is a fail to date. Hope things get better. Going to let it run dead then do a full charge and go from there.

Well l've been playing games on it quite a lot today and the battery definately seems to be lasting longer, so far so good. :)

NewdestinyX said:
iI you want to follow some actual "objective" measure testing of battery life changes since 5.0.1 you can follow the 'Apple is Aware of Battery Life issues on 4S with iOS5" thread. It's too easy for each of us to report - it 'feels' better when we so desperately WANT and DEMAND that it be better.

The weirdest thing in this whole discussion is that for some of us 4s owners- we just didn't have any trouble with battery life at all. And people with iPhone 3GS's and 4's had none either. Does everyone here know that for the first 3-4 cycles of your battery you need to let it run to 0% before recharging it - the first 4 times or your battery - or it will never run right. It's the simple physics of a rechargeable battery conditioning that's necessary. If you're in the habit of plugging in your phone every night before bed whether it's at 21%, 36% or 79% - just to assure it works all day the next day-- could have been creating your own battery life problems. This 'need' is outlined in every instruction booklet Apple's every published for every iPhone -- but, hey -- who reads instructions.. LOL!!!!!!

Though battery life HAS been a problem for some who've conditioned their batteries correctly - I believe the number of actual battery issues - that are 'software based' are fewer and harder to pin down than some of the hype would have us conclude. We'll see. I've had very negligible differences in 5.0 and 5.0.1 on my 4s. But I'm not a gamer. Though I am a heavy web user though.

Let's hope the upgrade was worth it.

OK I'm going to jump in here about instructions for charging the battery. I have an iPhone 4 and my hubby has one also. We read ALL of our instruction book that came with phones. NOTHING is said about proper way to charge battery.

So, we went to the iPhone user guide located in Safari to get help, and clicked on link apple.com/batteries. No where can we find that you need to completely discharge battery.

Wish Apple would make this more clear if we are missing something.

lindon said:
OK I'm going to jump in here about instructions for charging the battery. I have an iPhone 4 and my hubby has one also. We read ALL of our instruction book that came with phones. NOTHING is said about proper way to charge battery.

So, we went to the iPhone user guide located in Safari to get help, and clicked on link apple.com/batteries. No where can we find that you need to completely discharge battery.

Wish Apple would make this more clear if we are missing something.

Want to add, we did find where it says to let battery run down at least once per month; but nothing about conditioning the battery in the beginning.

tazzclass said:
Mine seems worse. Unpluged for 2h 13 m used for 52 min and is at 88% already. Before I could unplug at 7:30am and almost always be at 80-84% by noon with same usage as today. For me the update is a fail to date. Hope things get better. Going to let it run dead then do a full charge and go from there.

Same here....updated last night and battery lost 4% just sitting on the table. So far every night the battery had never lost a single % since I got it. I have used the exact same data today as yesterday and I'm already at 9% vs 60% yesterday. Worse now for sure =(

Mine is worse as well. Went down to 88% on my way to work this morning with no use. Now at 6pm I am at 18% and I usually have much more battery then that.

Same here....updated last night and battery lost 4% just sitting on the table. So far every night the battery had never lost a single % since I got it. I have used the exact same data today as yesterday and I'm already at 9% vs 60% yesterday. Worse now for sure =(
Same here.. I updated yesterday. Now it's much worse. Looks like mine is using 3% per hour on standby! I'm going to leave it on tonight to check it out further.

Is there anyway to restore back before the update?