What's new

I want to update my jailbroken iPhone 4 from 4.3.3 to 5.0.1, but...

ToTCaMbIu

Reaction score
Hi guys need your help. I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 iOS v4.3.3. What I have learned so far is that if I want to have a jailbroken iPhone 4 with 5.0.1 I need to update it first to that version. However many guys on forum are saying that it is not possible to update to a version of unsigned version of iOS. Non of the jailbreak methods or anyone on the net hardly mentioning that, because they assume that you have a required version already. Can someone explain when and what version of IOS can be updated or restored.

Question 1) Is it possible to update from older version to a newer version. lets say in my example I have 4.3.3 and I want to update to any other unsigned version of iOS. what are the factors that you need to take into account?

Question 2) Is it possible to restore to an older version of iOS? Example will be having 5.0.1 or 5.1 and restore(downgrade) it to a any other unsigned version of iOS? what are the factors that you need to take into account?

Question 3) If I have a completely dead(assume its only a software problem) iPhone and I dont know what version it had. What version would I be able to restore it to ? what are the factors that you need to take into account?

regards

Last edited:
I can help you this. But first I need to know what it says beside "SHSH" on the top of Cydia's home page. You must have SHSH for 5.0.1.

FYI. It is common knowledge to stay relatively up to dat with iOS. You want to stay as updated as you can at all time while retaining an untethered jailbreak. You really should have updated to 5.0.1 as soon as the untether was released. I always wait at least 2-3 months after a new jailbreak for a new iOS comes out before I update to it so the kinks in the jailbreak get............But nevertheless.........I try to stay as updated as I can.....Even as a jailbreaker. plus I assume you didnt want to get rid of the ease of jailbreakme.com........

You have 5.0.1 SHSH on the top of Cydia's home page?

I'm that kinda person that does not fix something that is not broken. but my wife's iPhone screen is freezing a lot so I wan to see if updating will fix it. But she also need jailbreak, if it wasn't freezing I would never update probably :).

to answer your question yes I have 5.0.1 on the top of Cydya's home page. That's good isn't it ?

ToTCaMbIu said:
I'm that kinda person that does not fix something that is not broken. but my wife's iPhone screen is freezing a lot so I wan to see if updating will fix it. But she also need jailbreak, if it wasn't freezing I would never update probably :).

to answer your question yes I have 5.0.1 on the top of Cydya's home page. That's good isn't it ?

Yeah than means you can restore to a custom 5.0.1 IPSW.