What's new

Access iDevice Filesystem via Linux

fesqel

Reaction score
Hey everybody.
My iPad 2 got stuck in recovery mode after updating the IOS. I'm sure you know the rest. I tried tinyumbrella, redsn0w and ... to get it out of recovery loop. The only modes it's working in: Recovery Mode and DFU. Since I have no back up, I wonder how I can access the device's filesystem and data. No full access is needed. Just read is enough. Anyone has any idea?
I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Not possible. In a boot/recovery loop, the iOS does not boot to a level that you can access it. Unless you have a low level exploit such as a bootrom exploit as well as other multiple attack points, you won't be able to create a dump of the device and extracting the data from it. The data can't be salvaged. You can try using those backup applications, but I've never had any success with them for anything, and they're a scam in my opinion since they utilize the same exploits found in jailbreaks to "recover" data, and it's not a good job at that.

Well, thank you so much for answering. I don't have much idea about that low level exploit and bootrom exploit you told. Could you please give some description?
Right now I'm trying the linux method(with ifuse and libimobiledevice) and got not no successfull result yet.

What's your opinion about this?:
Using iPhone Recovery Mode
I mean, this part in particular:

It's worth knowing that restoring your iPhone via recovery mode will delete all data on the device (if you go through the entire process; exiting recovery mode before completing a restore leaves your data intact)

You think I could save some of my data by exiting the recovery process? By unplugging the cable maybe.

Low level exploits are hardware exploits, meaning they're unpatchable without hardware changes. The only devices (in terms of iPhones) that can have their data dumped are the 3G and the old bootrom 3G. Any devices later than these two (including the new bootrom 3G) cannot have their data dumped.

And because of the lack of a low level exploit such as the LimeRa1n exploit that's applicable to the iPad 1 and iPhone 4 and below, you cannot use Recovery Fix features in utilities like TinyUmbrella, RedSn0w, iFaith, etc. That feature is ONLY applicable to devices older than the iPhone 4, iPad 1, and iPod Touch 4th Generation. Unplugging the device in Recovery Mode will not kick it out of Recovery Mode. Recovery Mode means that your boot sequence was corrupted prior to the firmware loading when you boot up the device.

To get your device working at all rather than just an expensive paperweight would be to restore the iPad using iTunes unfortunately. Backups should be made regularly, especially if you have massive changes on the device. It should be a regular practice for any electronic device that retains data i.e. computer, phone, tablet, voice recorder, etc.

By unplugging the device, I mean while the itunes recovery process is being committed.

Yes, maybe. But I don't have anything to lose, right? I mean, maybe I could get something out of it in the boot loop. Maybe by using these 3rd party recovery apps or forensics suits. Or maybe I could access to its data via linux in the boot loop. Am I going to lose anything? A hardware damage or something?

Yes, maybe. But I don't have anything to lose, right? I mean, maybe I could get something out of it in the boot loop. Maybe by using these 3rd party recovery apps or forensics suits. Or maybe I could access to its data via linux in the boot loop. Am I going to lose anything? A hardware damage or something?
It won't work. At this point your data is lost and can't be recovered by any known means. All you can do is restore your phone to factory condition and set it up as a new phone.

scifan57, iPhone Forums Moderator