What's new

About to jump, but first Is it true?

xesvuli420

Reaction score
Ok so I'm not even a iphone owner yet. I have my last new every 2 discount, and was wanting to wait for the iphone 5 to release, but with it not being announced yet, and apple rumored to be still working on a re designed 4 instead, I am considering going ahead with my upgrade and getting a white iphone 4 now.

After talking to a buddy, I am even more eager to abandon my patience and get one, but I want to see the truth about his claims, and some other questions.

He said he went to the flea market and jailbroke his phone for 30$ (something I would do myself) and here are his "favorite" things about his phone now.

1. All apps are free (ive already found this to be false)
2. Teathering is free (i believe this is using you phone as a modem)
3. Free TOM TOM voice navigation app?
4. Said he was on ios 5 (I don't believe its out yet)
5. Said his phone is now a hot spot

I know "search" is going to pop into your mind at this point, but do you know how OVERWHELMING all this can be to a first time apple owner?!?

Questions:

1 Does jailbreaking help get paid-apps for free? Or is there any other ways to do this? Ex. Say I wanna play Angry Birds.

2. Is there a good turn by turn voice navigation app? I was kind sad to learn that apparently Google Maps is the same between Blackberry, and Iphone, (just basic). My friend has a droid, and its google maps app is awesome! Turn by Turn, Voice, and a bunch of features I don't have! I was hoping that it would be more advanced on the iPhone, like it is the droid.

3. Please, tell me all the benefits of jailbreaking (like your favorite examples). I know its here somewhere on this forum, but I don't understand much of it.

I really want to thank you for taking the time to explain it to this noob, but It will be appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Questions:

1 Does jailbreaking help get paid-apps for free? Or is there any other ways to do this? Ex. Say I wanna play Angry Birds.

You can't discuss this here, as it constitutes software piracy; but without going into detail the answer is yes - but you're breaking the law by stealing.

2. Is there a good turn by turn voice navigation app? I was kind sad to learn that apparently Google Maps is the same between Blackberry, and Iphone, (just basic). My friend has a droid, and its google maps app is awesome! Turn by Turn, Voice, and a bunch of features I don't have! I was hoping that it would be more advanced on the iPhone, like it is the droid.

That's because a Droid runs a Google OS, and thus includes Google Navigation Beta. There are turn by turn apps for iOS, but I believe they are all paid. Perhaps if Google Navigation ever comes out of beta, it will come to different platforms.

3. Please, tell me all the benefits of jailbreaking (like your favorite examples). I know its here somewhere on this forum, but I don't understand much of it.

Basically, jailbreaking gives you "root" access to your device and allows parts of the filesystem to be modified that would otherwise be read-only. By doing this, you can install apps from Cydia that wouldn't be able to make it through Apple's approval process, plus you can actually re theme the entire OS if you so desire. For example, there is a printing app that works better than Airprint, and works on most (if not all) printers which you can purchase from the Cydia store. This app would not be possible without jailbreaking, as it directly accesses parts of the OS that would otherwise be off-limits.

I really want to thank you for taking the time to explain it to this noob, but It will be appreciated!

Thanks guys!

My answers are in bold.

Good answers above.

TomTom is available on iPhone and I can't fault it. Well worth the money even if you pay for it.
Some guys are running the iOS 5 BETA, maybe that's what he is on about.

Ohhh I get it... those are just the things that can be discussed. thank you guys for your replies

Last edited:
So I am about to order the iphone... Finally apple here I come. I have wanted one since the first one, but never wanted to go with AT&T due to crappy coverage in my area. I left Nextel when the Blackberry Storm came out, and although I Love the coverage. I hated the Storm, and also the Storm 2 (Current Phone). Either way Ive never had any apple products, and I look forward to sharing in you guys excitement with a dependable phone. I hope its everything I think it is!

I am going with a white one, anyone have any ideas what version it will ship with?

I want to go ahead and get my ducks in a row, and try to find a good tutorial for the jailbreak. I welcome any links you guys have that you think are better/easier for a noob.

I want to thank you guys for all your help, and I look forward to getting to know you guys.

Thanks again
Shane

Post # 5, hey its my thread I can hijack it if I want to lol :)

I DID IT!!!! been waiting since 2008 for this day!!!

I haven't even activated it yet (with verizon), nor synced any files!

First comes the jailbreak. I am using a program SnowBreeze to do it. I am on 4.2.8, and I am currently downloading a 4.2.8 ipsw.

I hope I am doing this right. I still have 5 minutes before I start,

ANYTHING I NEED TO KNOW?

thanks guys

Man that was a good scare. After going into DFU mode, and SHIFT+RESTORE, iTunes got stuck on "preparing to restore" for 5 minutes, and then Errored saying the software couldn't be restored.

So I tried to turn it on, and a white screen came up, and iTunes said same message as before (must reload or whatever). I went thru the same steps as before and this time a little apple came up on my phone. I immediately sighed, and released the tension from my sphincter*

Now so far so good, (I hope) on my way to jailbreak

JAILBROKE!!!

HOOOORAY!!!!

iTunes keeps asking me to update carrier settings, should I?

No harm in updating your carrier settings. I believe it allows you to use extra towers from a different network when data roaming (sprint?). It's a very small file to don't blink or you will think it didn't work. Lol...

Check back here for my questions along the way :)

Can I change the "name" of apps on the icon screen?

You mean your springboard? No you can't change them. If you jailbreak then there is probably a way by using openSSH...

ok I just sync 3.5gb of picture folders, but they are not showing up on the phone... itunes says they are there, but none in phone.

also I cant find a "ringtones" tab in itunes to sync them

ok I just sync 3.5gb of picture folders, but they are not showing up on the phone... itunes says they are there, but none in phone.

also I cant find a "ringtones" tab in itunes to sync them

Those uploaded pictures are supposed to be in your photo album, if not do a search using the spotlight search in your phone by entering a name of the pictures to see if the spotlight will comes up with any result. As for ringtones, if you don't have any ringtone files in your iTunes library, then the tab will not show up at the first place.