What's new

Navigation?

DDustiNN

Reaction score
Will there be any turn-by-turn voice navigation app for this phone? That's one of my #1 favorite things about my Android... it's like a Garmin that uses Google Maps, and it's completely free. Definitely can't be beat. This is the only feature that has me on the fence about switching to iPhone next month...

Will there be any turn-by-turn voice navigation app for this phone? That's one of my #1 favorite things about my Android... it's like a Garmin that uses Google Maps, and it's completely free. Definitely can't be beat. This is the only feature that has me on the fence about switching to iPhone next month...

No doubt! Not to mention the voice recognition on Android works amazingly well.

I can't imagine Google will allow the iphone to have this feature.

I'm trying to get info about google maps on the iphone to no avail.

There has been one for months. It's called mapquest 4 mobile it's in the AppStore and it's free. Has turn by turn and voice.

I thought I heard Google was setting up their navigation on the iPhone as an option also?

MapQuest looks interesting, but people say you have to enter an address.

I love Google Navigation on my phone because it's so easy to use. Just type the name of a business, it searches for the closest one, and you're on your way. It also has voice recognition which generally works very well... much easier than typing, especially if you're already in the car. It's very convenient.

So my only hope is that Google releases a Navigation app for the iPhone. They release all kinds of stuff already... even Maps comes pre-loaded on iOS...

I love Google Navigation on my phone because it's so easy to use. Just type the name of a business, it searches for the closest one, and you're on your way. It also has voice recognition which generally works very well... much easier than typing, especially if you're already in the car. It's very convenient.

So my only hope is that Google releases a Navigation app for the iPhone. They release all kinds of stuff already... even Maps comes pre-loaded on iOS...

there is a TomTom app isnt that the same thing as Garmin?

Yes but I'm not paying $50 for an app when I had an equivalent one for free on my Android...

Yes but I'm not paying $50 for an app when I had an equivalent one for free on my Android...

but did you android app require DATA, the tomtom one downloads the map so you wont ever use your data while using it

but did you android app require DATA, the tomtom one downloads the map so you wont ever use your data while using it

It doesn't matter, because the phone required a $30 unlimited data plan. But as far as the app goes, it downloads the whole route and caches it to your phone. So yes of course it requires data to get the map, but it does not use data during your navigation, only GPS. This is in case you hit a "dead spot" while driving so you won't lose your navigation even if you lose signal for a moment.

It doesn't matter, because the phone required a $30 unlimited data plan. But as far as the app goes, it downloads the whole route and caches it to your phone. So yes of course it requires data to get the map, but it does not use data during your navigation, only GPS. This is in case you hit a "dead spot" while driving so you won't lose your navigation even if you lose signal for a moment.

sounds like android is the better phone i would stick with it if i were you

I'm not questioning the phones themselves, just that one single app. I was hoping Google would be releasing one for iPhone (since they release other stuff for it) like the Android app, or at least that there was something similar. Someone said MapQuest above, which seems like the closest one (for free), so I'll just have to be stuck with that one I guess.

I thought I heard Google was setting up their navigation on the iPhone as an option also?

I heard about this too, but for some reason Apple turned it down. Why? I have no clue. But maybe it’s in the works again... But apple has their own turn by turn I thought?