What's new

7 mbps vs 12 mbps

azonie

Reaction score
I gave high speed internet now at 7 MBPS. of I go to 12 MBPS will I really notice any difference on computer, iPhone, or iPad.

Jmills87 said:
More than likely the 12MBPS data package has a faster upload speed as well.

I just mean you won't notice it when browsing the web or watching movies or listening to music. Only when downloading, or uploading files.

Jmills87 said:
Faster download speed affects all aspects of downloading(including browsing the web, and streaming movies/music)

Not when a device can't render the file or web page as fast as the data speed.

Jmills87 said:
That doesn't even make sense.... a device can render a file or web page as fast as the download speed allows.

Not true. Why do you think you see those tmobile commercials that say "we have the fastest 4g smartphones"? They aren't talking about the phone itself but how fast it handles data speeds. If you have your iphone connected to 7mbps wifi and load a random web page then connect it to 12mbps wifi, I bet you $1000 the web page will not load noticeably faster. This is because of the phones limitations to render the web pages. This also comes into effect with different web browsers. Ever wonder why different web browser companies claim to be the "fastest"? Because they have different rendering qualities that can handle faster data speeds better. You could have two different phones connected to the same wifi and one of them will render web pages and videos etc. faster then the other one. Don't believe me on all this? Look it up. This is elementary, man.

I bet you $1000 the web page will not load noticeably faster. This is because of the phones limitations to render the web pages. This also comes into effect with different web browsers.

Your logic is flawed. The reason that the website doesn't load noticeably faster is because websites are very small in size(usually less than a MB). The reason there is no noticeable difference is because you are talking about loading such a small amount of data.

A device can render a file or website as fast as the data connection speed allows(and as fast as the antenna is built for). There is no limitation set by the actual device itself. When a company says "we have the fastest 4G phones" they are saying that they have the fastest 4G network, it has nothing to do with with the hardware of the devices. It's not like your HTC Evo is going to load faster on one network because the other network has set speed limitations on the hardware. It is because of the speed of the carrier's network.

I don't need to look anything up. I am a CISCO certified network administrator. I have years of experience.

Last edited:
I'm sorry. I have to agree with Chris. If I have a Windows 95 system it will definitely render web pages or other things much slower than my PC running Windows 7. Doesn't matter what my bandwidth is. It comes down to hardware and software limitations. If you have an older Wi-Fi card in your computer compared to nowadays it probably won't support the data speed again hardware and software limitations. You should know this of course. This the need for progressing technology and securing your job.

Jmills87 said:
Your logic is flawed. The reason that the website doesn't load noticeably faster is because websites are very small in size(usually less than a MB). The reason there is no noticeable difference is because you are talking about loading such a small amount of data.

A device can render a file or website as fast as the data connection speed allows(and as fast as the antenna is built for). There is no limitation set by the actual device itself. When a company says "we have the fastest 4G phones" they are saying that they have the fastest 4G network, it has nothing to do with with the hardware of the devices. It's not like your HTC Evo is going to load faster on one network because the other network has set speed limitations on the hardware. It is because of the speed of the carrier's network.

I don't need to look anything up. I am a CISCO certified network administrator. I have years of experience.

Well with all that experience, you sure don't know phones too good. Or computers for that matter. I am a self taught computer wiz. Been working, fixing, tweaking, and building them for 8 years now. I wouldn't just pull this out of my rear to make you mad. But I'm right and I know I'm right. Being a system admin does not qualify you to know everything. And we are mostly talking about phones here, not computers. When it comes to phones, you could have all the damn mb of speed you want but it will NOT translate to equal the same speeds experienced on the phone. This is why I told the op the only difference would be in downloading/uploading. I will argue this to the grave because it is a fact. You really should look it up because I don't want to go back and forth over something that I'm right about

DRad2003 said:
I'm sorry. I have to agree with Chris. If I have a Windows 95 system it will definitely render web pages or other things much slower than my PC running Windows 7. Doesn't matter what my bandwidth is. It comes down to hardware and software limitations. If you have an older Wi-Fi card in your computer compared to nowadays it probably won't support the data speed again hardware and software limitations. You should know this of course. This the need for progressing technology and securing your job.

Exactly