What's new

down/upload internet speed differences need solution

roving

Reaction score
I have 4 computers (iPad Pro, MS SurfaceGO, two HP G71-340 laptops, an iPhone 11 and a Galaxy6 phone in my home all using a Spectrum modem and router (replaced two days ago by Spectrum to fix problem, but didn't) Rarely are two of these using the connection at the same time, and very rarely downloading anything. Distance from any one of them to router location is less than 40'. Incoming Spectrum signal at the modem is 110+ Mbps. At one HP its download speed is consistently over 100 Mbps and the other is consistently about 38 Mbps. The iPad Pro is consistently over 100 and the iPhone 11 is always in mid 20's Mbps.(the last three are sitting together on my desk.) What can I do or look for that will speed up the slow ones, and why the wide differences?

Is your router dual band? If so, it may be that some of your devices are using the 5 GHz and others the 2.4 band. The 5 GHz is much faster. If the selection is automatic, you may find that splitting bands and selecting which device uses which band may help.

Thanks for the quick response! The HP's are a few years old and don't recognize 5G (and use the 2G), BUT one produces over 100 Mbps and the other just 38. IPad Pro tablet and iPhone 11 both are are set to the 5G yet the iPad gets over 100Mbps and the iPhone11 gets in the mid 20's. Has me mumbling to myself.

The router was replaced by Spectrum two days ago, along with the modem, when the problem was first discovered. Same results from the new when we ran the same tests with the Spectrum tech doing the tests using Ookla.

Sorry, my mistake! I suppose you have tried forgetting the network, shutting down the iPhone and then rejoining?

I also just switched to the 2G and the speeds dropped to 9 Mbps. At least the 5G is faster, so something is working as it should. More mumbling!. Appreciate all of your suggestions. I haven't done the forget and restart, but will do that and report if results change from the 5G previous ones.

After forget and restart same results 23 Mbps on iPhone 11, and 105 on my iPad. Both on 5G Both have VPN also, as does my HP laptop.

That is weird as I get 200+ mbps on my 11 pro max. No issue here. Have you made sure you are close enough to the router to not have any degradation from obstructions and such. I know the closer I get to my router the better the speeds. The further away the worse the speeds become.

And the problem continues, with a variation on the iPhone rising to 42 and 37 on consecutive checks. The HP varies fro 33 to 39. Such is expected. The iPhone 11 and iPad Pro and the HP are all nearly touching each other on my desk and about 15 feet from modem and router. Both were replaced by Spectrum 4 or 5 days ago when I noticed the slow speeds. Nothing changed after the new ones were installed. The iPad Pro is over 100 no matter where I try it, and the iPhone is slow everywhere. I recently moved to this place from another city so that is why I noticed these speeds. Thanks for your interest.

Reactions: 933
And the problem continues, with a variation on the iPhone rising to 42 and 37 on consecutive checks. The HP varies fro 33 to 39. Such is expected. The iPhone 11 and iPad Pro and the HP are all nearly touching each other on my desk and about 15 feet from modem and router. Both were replaced by Spectrum 4 or 5 days ago when I noticed the slow speeds. Nothing changed after the new ones were installed. The iPad Pro is over 100 no matter where I try it, and the iPhone is slow everywhere. I recently moved to this place from another city so that is why I noticed these speeds. Thanks for your interest.

What speeds does Spectrum offer with your plan? Does your iPhone 11 get the same slower speeds away from home? Are these speeds on wifi or cellular?
Other than the iPhone showing slower speeds when you check it, are you having issues with 42 and 37 range Mbps? Does it interfere or cause buffering when streaming anything?

Are you sure you are seeing the WiFi symbol up In the right top corner, next to your battery symbol, if not you aren’t connected to your WiFi.
Next, make sure you are connected to the 5ghz WiFi and not the 2.4ghz as this is much slower as seen here in this pic.
IMG_0261.png
IMG_0262.png

As seen above, the first pic is while using the 5ghz band of my WiFi, which is spectrum 200mbps service. The 2nd pic shows the same WiFi, but on the 2.4ghz band. Notice the speeds are much slower, as described by the OP.
To the poster of this thread, look at your WiFi and make sure you are connected to the 5ghz band and not the 2.4ghz band of your WiFi. You may have to refresh your WiFi for it to come up, and you may also have to retype your password for it to connect to the 5ghz band. Good luck and, Hope you get it resolved.

Holiday duties are interfering with my investigation of my problem. I will have information for the last two posters as soon as things settle down in a few days. I sure appreciate your input and Season’s greetings to all of you.