What's new

iPhone 5 tethered to ATT Mifi

Kensterfly

Reaction score
I an AT&T MiFi Liberator 5792 the same day as I got my new iP5. These two devices plus my bride's iP4 are on the same Family plan. As far as data goes, then, it doesn't make any difference if I use my iPhone tethered to the MiFi via wifi or if the iPhone is receiving data directly. BUT... the download speed on the phone via the Wifi is over double the speed of the iphone alone. 7.42 Mbps with MiFi. 3.17 Mbps with phone alone.

Any reason I wouldn't want to tether (wirelessly) the iPhone to the MiFi all the time, while I'm at home? As I said, it's a Family plan so all data comes out of the same pot.

Now, If I could only get ATT to stop droping the data signal from the tower several times per day....

Thanks!

I had a Verizon MiFi and dropped it after I got my iPhone 5 and just use the phone as a hotspot if I need data access on my laptop. I could have stayed with the MiFi but the data plan is discounted through my employer while the MiFi plan wasn't. The downsides of the MiFi are having to carry two devices, needing two charging solutions and the amount of time to boot the MiFi. Your situation is different because you are at home. Do you not have home broadband? I don't think that your proposed configuration would matter that much other than having one more device that's always on.

Mmoy, we cannot get broadband out here except for Hughesnet. Been there. Done that.
No more. I could just tether my laptop to my iP5 but the Myfi gets a much stronger signal. Plus my wife has an iP4 and can't get 4G so she gets better connection via wireless through the Myfi.