What's new

4s data not working on 3g

buttafingas

Reaction score
Heading into the office this morning, I get the "sorry, cannot connect to the network" from Siri. Didn't think it was too odd, given the recent server issues with Siri. I get to the office and my 4s grabs the wifi and my phone starts dinging from several emails...more than normal. I tried Siri and, sure enough, it worked...no problem. My phone is not getting any data on the 3g network. My ipad2 is working fine, so it isn't the network. I am currently restoring and setting up as a "new phone." Anyone else experiencing trouble connecting to the 3g network with their 4s? I would be interested to hear your feedback/solution.

So, I went to the Genius Bar. The tech said that they have been hearing of a few issues with the 4s not grabbing the 3g data network on occasion. He told me to go into settings, general, reset, reset network settings if this occurs again. Hopefully this bug will be worked out on an ios update.

I Have been experiencing the same issues. My data works fine on wifi, but can't get a byte on 3g. I've been restarting the phone all together, and the 3g will start to work again. But once I connect to a wifi, and then disconnect, 3g will not work. It's pretty annoying.

Hi there, I seem to be having the same problem. I've had my iPhone a couple of months, and it has always been fine, but yesterday it wouldn't connect to 3G. I've tried resetting the network settings and have rebooted it many times.

Has anyone found the solution to this. It's working fine on wi fi, and there are no network problems with the service provider. :(

Same here. 3 bars or less of 3G and the phone won't grab the data signal.
4 bars, some times it will grab.
5 bars, most times it will grab.
All this started 4 days ago for me, I've been using the phone for months with no issues except for the weak battery syndrome everyone has.

What a POS, Apple. You should dump some of your stock and refund every iphone purchaser their money.
AND LET THEM KEEP THE PHONES AS PAPER WEIGHTS. 'CAUSE THAT'S ALL THEY ARE GOOD FOR.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iPF.net

I've made an appointment at the genius bar for next Saturday. I restored the whole phone to factory settings and still no luck!

How annoying! How did we ever live without 3G??

I have been having the same issue with my new iphone 4s. At home, my wifi works perfectly. But as soon as I leave my wifi network, my phone shows 3G service, but gets absolutely no data service. I called AT&T (my provider), and they told me that wireless has to be turned off if I want to use 3G. ????!!!! That was never the case with my iphone 3s. For now I am turning wireless on and off every time I come and go from my house (and if 3G still isn't working, I restart the phone and then it starts working again). But seriously, this can't be the answer... Weesmiler, please let us know what the geniuses think.

I was having the same problem. My phone was displaying the 3G symbol but Facebook was about the only thing I could access. I took my phone to my phone store and they went into my settings and turned on Data Roaming. From then on, I've not had a problem unless I only have 1-2 bars of reception. If the Data roaming option isn't switched to 'on', try that and see if it makes any difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Turning on 'Data Roaming' didn't solve the issue with my phone. The phone shows 3 to 4 bars of 3G and there is absolutely no connection.
I am about to see what the flight path trajectory of an iphone looks like.

Last edited:
I read on the Apple discussion forum about a quick easy fix that the German T-Mobile is telling their customers to do to circumvent this Apple software issue. The phones affected are apparently only the 4S with OS 5.0.1 (9A405). This fix works for about 80% of the 4S phones that have this problem.

Go to:
Settings>Phone>Sim Pin>Sim Pin Off.

You may have to reboot the phone for the change to take effect. The change works on my phone. Good luck. And thanks for nothing, Apple.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iPF.net

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I went into the genius bar today, the girl tried her own
Sim card in the phone, it still didn't work so she gave me a
New phone and I went off on my merry way with 3G working perfectly

Weesmiler xx