What's new

Force 3G connection

snaggle

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
Pleasure to be here at the iPhone forum. Having a slightly annoying issue with my phone. I have set the data connection to not Auto, and selected a 3g network. This works fine for a time until the phone suddenly changes to Edge network which is slower. If I switch to and from Flight mode the 3g connection returns for a while but eventually goes to Edge again.

This happens even if the setting is not set to Auto. It still changes from the 3g network to another.

Is there no way to force it to stay on the network? Highly annoying. Appreciate your help!

Hello everyone! Pleasure to be here at the iPhone forum. Having a slightly annoying issue with my phone. I have set the data connection to not Auto, and selected a 3g network. This works fine for a time until the phone suddenly changes to Edge network which is slower. If I switch to and from Flight mode the 3g connection returns for a while but eventually goes to Edge again. This happens even if the setting is not set to Auto. It still changes from the 3g network to another. Is there no way to force it to stay on the network? Highly annoying. Appreciate your help!
If your Edge signal is weak, it will switch to 3G. I have LTE. But sometimes the LTE signal either gets weak or is lost, then I'm switched to 4G. While spending time at the hospital, I even got switched to 3G. You're somehow losing your Edge signal. Could be a location issue. I may have got your situation backwards. But you see what I mean.

If you prefer 3G over Edge, is there a way to turn Edge off in your settings? I'm not familiar with Edge.

Doesn't 3G, 4G, or Edge depend on the tower you're pinging?
And I thought Edge was the slow one?

Thanks for your replies :)

If your Edge signal is weak, it will switch to 3G. I have LTE. But sometimes the LTE signal either gets weak or is lost, then I'm switched to 4G. While spending time at the hospital, I even got switched to 3G. You're somehow losing your Edge signal. Could be a location issue. I may have got your situation backwards. But you see what I mean.
It seems more like the 3G signal is weak because it switches to Edge more often. It's quite annoying these times I use my phone by the computer, listening to music then it suddenly goes back to Edge and this typical noise from older GSM-phones starts echoing in the loudspeakers...

Anyway. I am trying to find out how to actually prevent it from going to Edge all the time, like forcing it to 3G whenever it is available. If not available, then it could either stay in the nothingness... or whatever to call it, or try to search for the 3g signal again.

The changing to Edge happens even if I keep sitting in the same spot. I could send an email to my phone connection provider if they have any clue to why the signal is so... vivid. Otherwise I am clueless right now. It's rather frustrating it goes to a different network even though the auto setting is off and I have already selected a network. I did not ask it to switch really...

Your phone will automatically search for the stronger signal. You must be in a location where the tower is such that you frequently lose that signal, switching you to 3G which you seem to prefer. There's not much you can do to prevent this. If you lived closer to an Edge tower, you might prefer Edge. Or if you prefer 3G, you would need to move as far away from the Edge towers as possible. You're just in a bad location.

3G is faster than Edge. 4G is faster than 3G and LTE is faster than all of them. You can toggle your phone to a slower data signal but you cannot toggle it to not drop speed to a slower network, that occurs due to signal strength from the tower. For example, my Iphone 5 normally gets an LTE signal. Sometimes, the signal drops down to 4G. If I visit where I used to work, it will drop to 3G or Edge speed. If I still worked there, while at work I would toggle my phone to have LTE off because the phone will keep looking for a stronger signal and waste battery not finding it.

Hey i want forcely only 3g connection.not edge how it possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey i want forcely only 3g connection.not edge how it possible

You can't. The tower the network signal is coming from controls the signal. When the tower signal is too weak to use 3G it will drop down to a slower frequency. That is true for all cell phones. You can enable what signals you want to use but the tower signal strength controls what signal your phone receives.

But in android we can select wcdma only but in iphone we cannot

But in android we can select wcdma only but in iphone we cannot Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you were able to force your iPhone to remain on 3G at all times, you would lies your cellular connection if the 3G signal became too weak you would lose your cellular connection until the 3G signL was strong enough again.

Ya here is same,but i want only 3g not edge

Ya here is same,but i want only 3g not edge Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does that mean that if the 3G signal from the nearest tower is too weak to connect, you would rather have no signal at all than have EDGE.

Here is available 3g tower but many time its on edge