What's new

iPhone 4 can't find wifi networks, 3G not working

snapshot

Reaction score
Hi guys, really hope you can help,

I recently acquired second-hand iPhone 4, which had a cracked screen after it was dropped. I sent it to have it unlocked and the screen repaired, it's now working, but unfortunately seems to be having connection problems. It is unable to find any wifi networks and, when cellular data is turned on, shows the 3G icon but does not give a working connection. I tried resetting the network settings but it didn't work. Could this be a result of the drop or just a simple problem I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

Hi guys, really hope you can help,

I recently acquired second-hand iPhone 4, which had a cracked screen after it was dropped. I sent it to have it unlocked and the screen repaired, it's now working, but unfortunately seems to be having connection problems. It is unable to find any wifi networks and, when cellular data is turned on, shows the 3G icon but does not give a working connection. I tried resetting the network settings but it didn't work. Could this be a result of the drop or just a simple problem I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

It could be an issue with the SIM card. Try pulling it out and putting it back in. If that fails then it might be the SIM card is damaged.

Just tried that there, didn't fix the problem. Should I look into getting a replacement SIM card? Could that be causing the wifi issue as well?

Just tried that there, didn't fix the problem. Should I look into getting a replacement SIM card? Could that be causing the wifi issue as well?

I would try contacting your provider first to see if they can offer assistance. I'm not sure what the SIM card and wifi have in common but I know that it's a major player with the network. I would assume the SIM card would also have something to do with wifi as well but I'm not certain.

The wifi not working is an entirely separate problem from the 3G connection. Check with your carrier to get the sim card replaced, but for the wifi connection you might try resetting network settings. (you should probably just do it first)

settings,general,reset, reset network settings.

Thanks for the replies guys. Resetting the network settings was actually one of the first things I tried, it hasn't helped the problem. It seems strange to me that the phone being dropped could have damaged the internet connection and seemingly nothing else - is this possible?

Might be. You really can't tell for sure until you take it apart and check it out. If you do take it out and apart, it's on the top left with respect to the battery