What's new

*228 dsnt seem to help!

amyinnc

Reaction score
Call signal still really week...cannot pick up 3G network much at all where before this was not a problem..and last night phone was fully charged when I went to sleep..closed all running apps...woke up 7 hours later phone was at like 30%...never had it drain so much before. Guess I have to drive 30 minutes to Verizon store and see what's up!! Ughhh soooo annoying!

Is your device automatically fetching data for any or all your apps?

I don't think for most, no. Alot of times I have it off charger overnight and only lose like 5% battery..just seems odd that I did the *228 update yesterday after having lots of dropped and missed calls..now it seems worse as I can hardly get 3G when I'm out and my battery drained so fast..heard that update was suppose I improve those things!

That should have. Now you should go to Verizon. And I am willing to bet the first thing they check is the PRL version or ask if you did it recently.

Backup everything on your phone and restore it using iTunes. It might be a conflict between what's downloaded from Verizon and your iPhone.

Well if they ask about the PRL update I can say it did go through...I'll have to make a trek to Verizon tomorrow..hard to call them when I have crap service and no house phone.

willerz2 suggestion is a very viable option if you can't get out to VZW till tomorrow.

Confused. Who calls *228 anymore unless you have a 3 year old phone. Did iPhones ever have to do it?

All VZW iPhones, save for the iPhone 5, still required you to dial *228 if you did not connect your iPhone to iTunes for a PRL update. And since the introduction of iOS 5 a lot of people have quit doing just that.

With the merger of Alltel and Verizon in our area and several tower changes, I've frequently done *228 updates and seen my PRL change. I was not aware iTunes had anything to do with those updates, how does that work? And I am pretty sure (but I couldn't swear to it)that I've seen new PRL's after a *228 after 5.0.

Last edited:
With the merger of Alltel and Verizon in our area and several tower changes, I've frequently done *228 updates and seen my PRL change. I was not aware iTunes had anything to do with those updates, how does that work? And I am pretty sure (but I couldn't swear to it)that I've seen new PRL's after a *228 after 5.0.

I'm not certain if it was my iPhone 5 or on my Droid Bionic but I remember getting message sayinig that it was not necessary to update roaming list. At least I think I did, must have been on my Bionic.

VZW LTE devices don't need *228 anymore to do PRL updates. But any non-LTE still uses it. And major radio and PRL updates can be pushed thru iTunes without having to update the iOS itself. Had that happen several times with my 4 and 4S.

I found this on an old Howard Forums thread:

Verizon Plans:

- 52xxx Prl is for Heritage Verizon rate plans with a VZW sided PRL.
- 65xxx is a Hybrid PRL for VZW rate plans (Alltel sided)

Alltel converts (2xxx = 1X, 3xxxx and 4xxxx = EvDO/3G):

- 20xxx, 30xxx, & 40xxx are ALLTEL sided prls for ALLTEL rate plans
- 26xxx, 36xxx, & 46xxx are VZW sided prls for ALLTEL rate plans
- 40xxx - 3G smartphones (HTC Touch Pro, Blackberries, etc), data cards, etc

So, this is interesting. Shortly after I got my iPhone4 last June, I did a *228 and the Verizon branding disappeared off my phone. Verizon had to reactivate my phone. I went back and looked at a post I put on Howard Forums when that happened and it showed that I had been updated to 36220. According to the info above, that is correct. I am still on an Alltel rate plan for a Verizon phone.

I just checked my phone and I am now on PRL 30279! This suggests I have been moved to an Alltel phone PRL. I have been having issues with coverage lately, and I wonder if this has something to do with it? Coincidentally, I was in Hickory (still has Alltel coverage) this past weekend and I had great coverage, whereas my Verizon plan friend had one bar.

My phone is through my husband's business. One of his partners has been messing with the account and I wonder if something has changed. Going to call Verizon tomorrow and find out what the deal is.

Amyinnc...sorry to hijack your thread, but out of curiosity, what is your PRL? This is how you find it:
Settings>General>About>Carrier...tap it once and it will show the PRL.

It's says carrier 52892...

Last night the phone totally died being off the charger after having 100% battery...that's never happened.
My signall still seems bad, and when I leave the house I can hardly get 3G coverage when that was never an issue before
Going to Verizon today!

Well went into Verizon and they said first thing I have to do is update to ios6.. If I don't notice an immediate improvement go to apple to see if it's a hardware issue..2 minutes in the store, 30 minute drive..ugh.