What's new

Usage Time & Standby Time = Same?

John88

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just got a new Verizon iPhone last saturday. I've been noticing my battery is dieing fast, even when not in use. I just checked my usage under settings, and it said 22 hours for usage & standby? I also noticed last night when I went to sleep and in the morning the battery lost around 30%? This doesen't seem normal to me... But then again this is my first smartphone..

So today I restarted the phone and the usage/standby times seem to be correct now. I'm going to test it out now, by charging to 100% before I sleep and see how much it loses when I wake up. Hopefully the reset helped.

Atm I am very paranoid that my battery/phone is defective, I really don't want to exchange it since I already added invisible shield to front/back and lucky labs spectrawrap.

These are my settings:
WiFi = ON
Location Services = OFF
Bluetooth = OFF
Gmail = PUSH

Anyone know what's up with my phone?

I would turn off the following at night; Push, WiFi, 3G, and Cellular Data. Push can use up a lot of power, try setting it to update every 30 min or so, instead of Pushing it to you constantly. Your phone will work fine with these turned off, though you may not get caller ID info with cellular data turned off.

So today I restarted the phone and the usage/standby times seem to be correct now. I'm going to test it out now, by charging to 100% before I sleep and see how much it loses when I wake up. Hopefully the reset helped.

These are my settings:
WiFi = ON
Location Services = OFF
Bluetooth = OFF
Gmail = PUSH

Okay so the iphone was in standby for about 8 hours and the battery went down to 94%. I think my iphone is working properly now, but will monitor for a couple more days.

Last edited:
Does the apple multitask waste battery? Like when I press home button 2 times, I can see all my recently used apps, are they running in the background? I read that Apple said it doesn't waste battery, but other forums suggest that it does? I'm coming from an ipod touch 2g so I'm used to pressing the home button once to close something. The iphone home button seems more like a minimize button.

Does the apple multitask waste battery? Like when I press home button 2 times, I can see all my recently used apps, are they running in the background? I read that Apple said it doesn't waste battery, but other forums suggest that it does? I'm coming from an ipod touch 2g so I'm used to pressing the home button once to close something. The iphone home button seems more like a minimize button.

From what I have read, after hitting the home button twice, those apps listed at the bottom are apps you have recently opened. It does not mean they are running in the background, most are not. When you see those apps at the bottom you can press and hold the home button for about 5-7 seconds and a red minus sign will appear on those apps. Touch the minus sign and it will basically close that app, but from what I understand if you close those apps when you relaunch them they start from the beginning. Confused???? (I am).

I created the Post with "Does Verizon iPhone Battery Drain Fast" or something like that. People thought I was going nuts (rude, ahem). Check that out. I called Verizon (they were awesome btw). They then transferred me to an Apple Tech (they were awesome too)--and couldn't believe it. Everything I went through was listed in that post so check it out.

Apple tech said that I should just get an exchange. Which I did. My new phone is a million gazillion times more healthier than the other one. It is definitely a battery issue. Save yourself the trouble and exchange it. Again, read my post.

I charged my phone yesterday? I think? LoL. But I didn't have to last night and honestly, I probably will not have to charge it up again tonight. Yup. I swear. No I haven't surfed the web as much, nor played games, but doing what I am now with that other phone (haven't done much really), that battery was draining fast. Ridiculous. So yea, something was up with battery.

Right now I have Push ON but fetch manually. I only get emails when they come and or when I manually check (if there are any). But that doesn't drain my battery either Sooooo it's a toss up I guess push or not.

I also charge my battery around 14% to full, and once a month I hear to let it drain all the way then charge full. I plan to stick to what I am doing. (wall charging)

Again--check my post. lol.