What's new

Why does standby suck for me?

bcals0087

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
So I been a lurker for quite a while now, but felt it was time speak up. I've done a lot of research on the battery life for the iphone 4 and at this point I am stuck. I have restored countless times, setup as new phone every time, and always fresh downloaded the apps I needed. I am currently unjailbroken, (was before but battery was a lot worse), so I decided to stick to the basics to pinpoint the problem.

When I first got the phone about a month and half ago, battery was great. Battery depleted only a few percent overnight in standby, and the phone would easily last a few days with light usage. Now after a whole bunch of restores because of problems with cydia apps draining my battery, I still cannot get rid of the problem. I had an exchange account and gmail account that were set to push for a little while, and sometimes battery would get bad with those on, so I changed to fetch hourly, then manually, then just deleted them completely.

I have done a few power cycles already with the battery. Today I updated to 4.2.7, I charged the battery completely, restored through DFU mode, set up as new phone and have yet to install apps.
Basically I was told at the apple store today that battery life was a known problem, and the new verizon update was to fix this problem. Really???

Thats when I had come home to update and restore. My phone is at 88% right now with 11 minutes usage and 3 hours 17 minutes standby. Something can't be right. That 11 minutes is just from fiddling with the settings and setting the phone up.

Whoever read that through thanks, I am just very frustrated that I cannot get help from apple, or even verizon, and the hours of reading I've done about the battery issues haven't helped at all. please help! or at least tell me i'm not crazy!

wifi, bt, gps, and notifications are all off. Brightness stock, and no apps running in background.

I feel your pain on the battery. Came from a Blackberry and just figured this is normal for the iPhone. I will admit that I'm on my phone a lot. But yesterday it dropped 6% in 15 minutes while I was reading this forum. Seems like a bit much to me.

Sorry no words of wisdom though...

no problem, it really is frustrating. Losing 15% over night is ridiculous. Does anyone know if restoring also resets battery memory? Is it good to recycle after a restore?

Well, how long does/did your battery last total while this was happening?

88% bat remaining after 11mn of usage setting through the phone!!! There is some thing really going on wrong with the phone and not the bat. Basically i will say that it's the caliber of your phone which isn't accurate and yes this happens to many so do not panic an sure you are not crazy.
Now
1-plug in your phone to AC for charging.
2-moment after pluging it, turn off the device.
3-leave the phone on charge for about 6h, if you don't mind, leave it more time.
4-after 6h of charge mini unplug the dock from your iPhone while it's still off and then turn on your device.
5-after turning it on, go to settings > generale> usage and you should see usage -
Standby -
Now you are recalibrating the battery caliber.
6-now plug the dock to the phone to give it some charges again while having your phone on ofcourse.
7-leave it on charge untill the battery caliber on top right of the screen read fully charge sign (i guess you know that sign of fully charge battery)
8-after you see the fully charge sign, unplug the dock wire from the phone and go to settings> generale> and you should be able to read
usage 0
Stand by 0
(0 stand for 0mn after battery was full charged and it will read 0 only if you arrive to that settings> generale> usage page before a mn pass after u unplug the dock from your phone.
9- put your phone in air plane mode and restart your phone.
10- leave the phone for 1h in airplane mode and in standby, turn off wifi. See how much % drop after 1h. It shouldn't be more than 1% or even 0% of drop, otherwise you have a defective battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

i had about 3 hours usage with a day and half standby, the 3 hours was very light usage, no games, little browsing, more music, some calls, and browsing of the app store.

88% bat remaining after 11mn of usage setting through the phone!!! There is some thing really going on wrong with the phone and not the bat. Basically i will say that it's the caliber of your phone which isn't accurate and yes this happens to many so do not panic an sure you are not crazy.
Now
1-plug in your phone to AC for charging.
2-moment after pluging it, turn off the device.
3-leave the phone on charge for about 6h, if you don't mind, leave it more time.
4-after 6h of charge mini unplug the dock from your iPhone while it's still off and then turn on your device.
5-after turning it on, go to settings > generale> usage and you should see usage -
Standby -
Now you are recalibrating the battery caliber.
6-now plug the dock to the phone to give it some charges again while having your phone on ofcourse.
7-leave it on charge untill the battery caliber on top right of the screen read fully charge sign (i guess you know that sign of fully charge battery)
8-after you see the fully charge sign, unplug the dock wire from the phone and go to settings> generale> and you should be able to read
usage 0
Stand by 0
(0 stand for 0mn after battery was full charged and it will read 0 only if you arrive to that settings> generale> usage page before a mn pass after u unplug the dock from your phone.
9- put your phone in air plane mode and restart your phone.
10- leave the phone for 1h in airplane mode and in standby, turn off wifi. See how much % drop after 1h. It shouldn't be more than 1% or even 0% of drop, otherwise you have a defective battery.

thanks ill try this out and report back.

i had about 3 hours usage with a day and half standby, the 3 hours was very light usage, no games, little browsing, more music, some calls, and browsing of the app store.

Kinda what I thought, that is normal. A lot of users have to charge their phones everyday.

Mine gets charged every other day. I get about 3 hours usage and 1 day 18ish hours standby.

Your numbers seem very normal to me.:camera:

Kinda what I thought, that is normal. A lot of users have to charge their phones everyday.

Mine gets charged every other day. I get about 3 hours usage and 1 day 18ish hours standby.

Got ya, well, that makes me feel a little better that this isn't out of the ordinary. Thanks for your input. This ish has been driving me absolutely crazy haha

What's your battery percentage reading after 3h of normal usage?

Usage or usage and standy in those three hours?

After 3 hours of usage I'm usually around 45% or so.

AFter those 3 hours and 1 day 18hrs of standby I'm around 15-20%

Usage or usage and standy in those three hours?

After 3 hours of usage I'm usually around 45% or so.

AFter those 3 hours and 1 day 18hrs of standby I'm around 15-20%

Is that a heavy usage you are yalking about? Or just a normal usage, sms, phone calls, some little browsing and mail checking. In case you are having 45% after 3h of normal usage, i would say that your bat isn't that good IMO. My phone bat reach 0% after 10h - 11h of normal usage. I will make a screenshoot of my battery percentage next time i fully charge it and post it here.

It's heavy usage, game apps, youtube, etc.

Ah then it's normal that your battery drain that way. Actually, it's said that the battery can handle videos playback for about 5h. So there is no wonder.