What's new

Jailbreaking Methods for iPhone

f4780y said:
The baseband is the software which runs the modem in your phone. It therefore controls voice and data traffic with your chosen carrier. It is only important to jailbreakers where you have purchased a locked phone on contract, say with AT&T or O2, and want to use it with another carrier.

Only old basebands can be unlocked using software (ultrasn0w) since to unlock them relies on finding an exploit, just like jailbreaking does. There have not been any new exploits found in a very long time.

More recently, Gevey released a hardware SIM tray unlock solution which could work with the previous iPhone4 baseband (04.10.01).
With the release of IOS5, Apple updated the baseband on iPhone4 specifically to block Gevey sims and now there is no unlock solution for them either.

The baseband of the phone can never be downgraded, therefore anyone who needed an unlock but installed the latest stock IOS has rendered their phone locked again. What they should have done is install a custom firmware which did not include the baseband component, thus preserving their current baseband and their unlock.

There is also no way to currently unlock the iPhone4S baseband, but I guess that doesn't matter to you since you would not have purchased one if you needed it to be unlocked.

I have unlocked my phone it was locked to t-mobile and I have it working on O2. The modem firmware I have is 1.0.11. Does that mean I can't jailbreak the phone once one is available :-(. Should have maybe asked questions prior to buying. Thanks for clearing it up for me

I have unlocked my phone it was locked to t-mobile and I have it working on O2. The modem firmware I have is 1.0.11. Does that mean I can't jailbreak the phone once one is available :-(. Should have maybe asked questions prior to buying. Thanks for clearing it up for me

How did you unlock a locked T-Mobile 4S? Are you sure it wasn't already factory unlocked? Where did you buy it from?

f4780y said:
How did you unlock a locked T-Mobile 4S? Are you sure it wasn't already factory unlocked? Where did you buy it from?

I bought it off eBay and it was a t-mobile phone so I paid £25 to have it unlocked and then my O2 sim card worked when I synced with iTunes, I wouldn't be surprised if I've been conned but I'm sure it didn't work when I first put it in. At least it works on O2 :)

I have just put in my O2 pay as I go sim and I know that it definitely didn't work before it was unlocked and now it works so it was locked

I have just put in my O2 pay as I go sim and I know that it definitely didn't work before it was unlocked and now it works so it was locked

Yes, but you (or whoever you bought it from) paid the carrier to get it unlocked? T-Mobile? If so, then that's OK. The phone is now permanently unlocked. You can't re-lock it in this scenario. If the carrier unlocks the phone for you then it is the same as having a factory unlocked phone.

f4780y said:
Yes, but you (or whoever you bought it from) paid the carrier to get it unlocked? T-Mobile? If so, then that's OK. The phone is now permanently unlocked. You can't re-lock it in this scenario. If the carrier unlocks the phone for you then it is the same as having a factory unlocked phone.

Great thanks for clearing it up for me, had a mini panic that I had spent all this money for nothing. I'm so looking forward to jailbreaking the phone and then it will live up to my expectations, just need a few tweaks. Fingers crossed it won't be too long

Hello everyone, to my wonder I have had the Iphone 4s since it came out and have come across these jailbreak method's please correct me if this isnt
link removed
&
link removed
these both sites show that it can be done???????? Havent done it yet to see if it works??

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone, to my wonder I have had the Iphone 4s since it came out and have come across these jailbreak method's please correct me if this isnt & these both sites show that it can be done???????? Havent done it yet to see if it works??

a simple google search and you will find many of them sites but then you pay and you will get ripped off...

Don't have a problem with doing a lil leg work myself just thought someone on here knew but I WON'T ASK ANOTHER QUESTION!