What's new

Jailbreaking Methods for iPhone

Thanks 'f4780y' for all the useful advice! I am looking forward to an untethered jb, lost without it!

Last edited:
is the ios 5 tethered JB only for iphone 4 or is it possible to use it on iphone4s?

paradigma44 said:
is the ios 5 tethered JB only for iphone 4 or is it possible to use it on iphone4s?

Read the first post again. It's there clearly in black & white. No jailbreak for the 4S yet.

Managed once, but forgot to tether reboot.
I am using reds ow 0.9.9b5 and custom ispw now stuck on waiting to reboot and yes I did go back and recovered all from ITunes also a 6.1.5
Any help? Where am I going wrong?

Unlocked Iphone 3gs running OS 5.0 MC version so it is a newer model. Also has the 5.16 modem firmware...ouch.
How'd I do that? Downloaded an app and it needed a reboot, forgot to tether.

Ideas on where I was It was Redsnow, latest does not work. I need to use the older Redsnow and custom or update ISPW. Any ideas would be appreciated

Hi, I'm using a 4.3.1 04.10.01 baseband jailbroken iphone4 with gevey card..I’ve no shsh blobs.. Could i get a shsh blob with ifaith, then update the firmware to ios5 with snowbreeze with the fixed baseband and use the device with my gevey card? If i do these,then could i get back to 4.3.1?
By the way in this process, i suppose we have to create a custom firmware with snowbreeze and update it to ios5..If so what’s the difference between the custom and the original firmwares, is there any objection of the custom firmware?

Thanks for any help

Last edited:
Hi, I have a UK/Ireland iPhone 4 with iOS 5 Tethered jailbreak but can not get any service using a Telecom NZ and Vodafone NZ sim card, I guess this is carrier locked? will the iOS 5 unteathered jailbreak when released unlock the carrier?

claynz said:
Hi, I have a UK/Ireland iPhone 4 with iOS 5 Tethered jailbreak but can not get any service using a Telecom NZ and Vodafone NZ sim card, I guess this is carrier locked? will the iOS 5 unteathered jailbreak when released unlock the carrier?

No, sorry. They are not related. The ios5 baseband cannot currently be unlocked. A new jailbreak will not address this.

Is there anyway to unlock? or am I stuck with a iPod?

the uk do sell them unlocked though if you buy it from the apple store, BUT ios 5.0's baseband can't be unlocked you would have to be on 01.59 baseband but if its locked to a uk carrier you could easily get them to unlock the device

Hi I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but what does it mean when you talk about baseband, I'm new to all this. I have a iPhone 4s running on iOS 5.0 but that is as far as my knowledge goes. I am waiting for the jailbreak for my phone and I know this isn't available yet and I have learnt the difference between tethered and untethered, I know it is important to understand all the bits inbetween otherwise I could end up damaging my phone if I do the wrong thing, please can someone help

Hi I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but what does it mean when you talk about baseband, I'm new to all this. I have a iPhone 4s running on iOS 5.0 but that is as far as my knowledge goes. I am waiting for the jailbreak for my phone and I know this isn't available yet and I have learnt the difference between tethered and untethered, I know it is important to understand all the bits inbetween otherwise I could end up damaging my phone if I do the wrong thing, please can someone help

The baseband is the software which runs the modem in your phone. It therefore controls voice and data traffic with your chosen carrier. It is only important to jailbreakers where you have purchased a locked phone on contract, say with AT&T or O2, and want to use it with another carrier.

Only old basebands can be unlocked using software (ultrasn0w) since to unlock them relies on finding an exploit, just like jailbreaking does. There have not been any new exploits found in a very long time.

More recently, Gevey released a hardware SIM tray unlock solution which could work with the previous iPhone4 baseband (04.10.01).
With the release of IOS5, Apple updated the baseband on iPhone4 specifically to block Gevey sims and now there is no unlock solution for them either.

The baseband of the phone can never be downgraded, therefore anyone who needed an unlock but installed the latest stock IOS has rendered their phone locked again. What they should have done is install a custom firmware which did not include the baseband component, thus preserving their current baseband and their unlock.

There is also no way to currently unlock the iPhone4S baseband, but I guess that doesn't matter to you since you would not have purchased one if you needed it to be unlocked.