What's new

The "Can I Jailbreak my iPhone on iOS X.X.X" Thread

willerz2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Check the list of fakes below of untrustworthy sites for jailbreak information and such.

Any and all devices, on any and all iOS's from iOS 1.0 through 9.1 can be jail broken. iOS 9.2 and above are currently not jailbreakable.

If you are currently jailbroken, please install Apple Conduit File 2 (AFC2add by Saurik) and OpenSSH. MobileTerminal and iFile are not required, but highly recommended, even if it's just the free shareware version of iFile, NOT a pirated copy. We DO NOT condone piracy of any kind at any level on iPhoneForums, iPadForums and AppleForums.

Even if you do not find any conventional use of AFC, MobileTerminal or OpenSSH, it is HIGHLY recommended that you still install and keep the packages on your device for troubleshooting purposes.

You can view a list of common scams below.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Table of Contents

I. Debrief

II. Be Wary of Fake Jailbreaks

III. Types of Jailbreaks

IV. Note for those jailbreaking iOS 6.0-6.1.6 using RedSn0w

V. Download Links

VI. List of the Latest iOS for all devices (Guide links included as well)

VII. What device/iOS combination you can tether/untether/not jailbreak with

VIII. FAQ

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be wary of fake Jailbreaks

Remember that jailbreaks are ALWAYS FREE. Never pay for a jailbreak application nor jailbreaking service. Jailbreaks are very easily performed and are made free to everyone. You NEVER have to fill out a SURVEY. The Dev Teams will have the download links in their respective blogs/sites (and of course this sticky will have it too), and will NOT ask for surveys or payments. Your most trustworthy source would be here on iPhoneForums, where we check for the legitimacy before we post it up. ANY SITES REQUESTING PAYMENT IN RETURN FOR JAILBREAKING SERVICES AND PROMISES ARE FAKES. The download links for the major jailbreaking utilities will be provided below. These are the trusted and as direct as possible links to them. No surveys, no payment, nothing. 100% free. If the site/domain is trying way too hard to show that they're "legit", it's guaranteed a fake.

Don't fall for these "jailbreaks":
  • Unja1l
  • Ra1n
  • RedRa1n
  • YellowRa1n
  • FastRa1n
  • SafeRa1n
  • SoftJB
  • JBNow
  • AbsinJB
  • DreamJB
  • iphoneimeiunlock.org
  • gdeluxe.com
  • Silverwind
  • alphajailbreak
  • downgradeiphone
  • icysn0w
  • ineedajailbreak
  • ipadjailbreak3
  • iphonejailbreakplus
  • jailbreakios7untethered
  • jailbreak-my-ipad
  • jailbreak-team
  • jailbreakunlock
  • redpois0n
  • rocky-raccoon
  • any wordpress domains
  • ios7untethered
  • Any website that has evasi0n, evad3rs, some form of either (evasion, ev4sion, evasi0n7, evaders, evaderz, etc) that is NOT the exact format of www.evasi0n.com
  • iso______________.com - These people can't even get the firmware file name correctly. It's iOS, not iso, this isn't a disc burn extraction......
  • Any site that attempts to look like Evasi0n.com that is NOT evasi0n.com exactly. There are MANY sites that attempt to copy the CSS/HTML format of the evasi0n website. ALL FAKES.
  • Any website that includes pangu in the name, but is NOT specifically en.pangu.io or pangu.io
  • Any website that includes iOS and a number in any way, shape or form are FAKES.
  • Any website that is not explicitly taig.com

Types of Jailbreaks:
  • Tethered Jailbreak: Requires a PC when rebooting iPhone (respringing doesn't count). If you don't boot tether, you'll be walled with a Recovery Mode screen until you boot tether. No access to the phone's springboard whatsoever. You'll need to boot tethered using RedSn0w and such.
  • Semi-tethered Jailbreak: Requires a PC to get jailbroken apps working. With this type of jailbreak, you will have access to the Springboard. You can use stock apps like Phone, Message, Notes, Contacts, etc. But, your iPhone cannot use/start jailbroken apps/tweaks. It's kind of like safe mode in a way. To get the jailbroken tweaks/apps working again, you'll need to boot tethered using RedSn0w and such.
  • Untethered Jailbreak: Does not require a PC for anything except restoring if you want to wipe the jailbreak. You can reboot as many times as you like, whenever you like, and you won't need a PC to make stuff work again.

Downloads

PanGu 8 (Support for all devices running iOS 9.0 - 9.1)

Windows Download

Mac OS Download

TaiG (Support for iOS 8.1.3 - 8.4)

Windows Download

Mac Download

TaiG (Support for iOS 8.0 - 8.1.2)

Windows Download

PP (Support for iOS 8.0 - 8.1.2)

Mac Download

PanGu 8 (Support for all devices running iOS 8.0 - 8.1)

Windows Download

Mac OS Download

PanGu 7 (Support for all devices running iOS 7.1 - 7.1.2)

[Tutorial]

Windows v1.2.1

Mac OS v1.2.0

p0sixspwn

(Support for all iOS 6.1.3 through 6.1.6 device)

Windows Download

Mac OSX Download

Evasi0n7 v1.0.7 (1.0.8 is causing boot loop issues, and @Evad3rs has removed it from the official website. I'll be leaving 1.0.7 here until a fixed version of 1.0.8 is out if ever):

(Support for all devices on iOS 7.0 - 7.0.6)

Windows Download

Mac OSX Download

RedSn0w 0.9.15 beta 3 (Latest):

(Support for various devices and iOS combinations; not all)

Windows Download

Mac OSX Download

Ideal for: Jailbreaking pre-A5 devices, general restore/blobs/IPSW purposes on all device. iOS 6.1.6 users will have to use RedSn0w to tethered jailbreak, then install the p0sixspwn package

Evasi0n v1.5.3 (Latest):

(Support for all devices on iOS 6.0 - 6.1.2 only)

Windows Download

Mac OSX Download

Absinthe v2.0.4

Windows Download

Mac OSX Download

Ideal for: iOS 5.1.1 jailbreaking on all devices

Absinthe v0.4

Windows Download

Mac OSX Download
Ideal for: iOS 5.0/5.0.1 jailbreaking on A5 devices (iPhone 4S and iPad 2 only)

Latest Released Firmware For Your Device

iPad Air 2: 9.3.2
iPad Air: 9.3.2
iPad Mini 4: 9.3.2
iPad Mini 3 (New Retina): 9.3.2
iPad Mini 2 (Retina): 9.3.2
iPad Mini: 9.3.2
iPad 4: 9.3.2
iPad 3: 9.3.2
iPad 2: 9.3.2
iPad: 5.1.1
iPhone SE: 9.3.2
iPhone 6S: 9.3.2
iPhone 6S+: 9.3.2
iPhone 6: 9.3.2
iPhone 6+: 9.3.2
iPhone 5S: 9.3.2
iPhone 5C : 9.3.2
iPhone 5: 9.3.2
iPhone 4S: 9.3.2
iPhone 4: 7.1.2
iPhone 3GS New Bootrom: 6.1.6
iPhone 3GS Old Bootrom: 6.1.6
iPhone 3G: 4.2.1
iPod Touch 4th Gen: 6.1.6
iPod Touch 5th Gen: 9.3.2
iPod Touch 6th Gen: 9.3.2

iOS 9.2+

iPad Air 2:Jailbreak NOT Available
iPad Air:Jailbreak NOT Available
iPad Mini 4 (Retina):Jailbreak NOT Available
iPad Mini 3 (Retina):Jailbreak NOT Available
iPad Mini 2 (Retina):Jailbreak NOT Available
iPad Mini:Jailbreak NOT Available
iPad 4:Jailbreak NOT Available
iPad 3:Jailbreak NOT Available
iPad 2:Jailbreak NOT Available
iPhone SE: Jailbreak NOT Available
iPhone 6S:Jailbreak NOT Available
iPhone 6S+:Jailbreak NOT Available
iPhone 6:Jailbreak NOT Available
iPhone 6+:Jailbreak NOT Available
iPhone 5S:Jailbreak NOT Available
iPhone 5C :Jailbreak NOT Available
iPhone 5:Jailbreak NOT Available
iPhone 4S:Jailbreak NOT Available
iPod Touch 5th Gen:Jailbreak NOT Available
iPod Touch 6th Gen:Jailbreak NOT Available

iOS 9.0 - 9.1

iPad Air 2:Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu9
iPad Air:Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu9
iPad Mini 4 (Retina):Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu9
iPad Mini 3 (Retina):Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu9
iPad Mini 2 (Retina):Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu9
iPad Mini:Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu9
iPad 4:Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu9
iPad 3:Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu9
iPad 2:Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu9
iPhone 6S:Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu9
iPhone 6S+:Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu9
iPhone 6:Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu9
iPhone 6+:Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu9
iPhone 5S:Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu9
iPhone 5C :Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu9
iPhone 5:Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu9
iPhone 4S:Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu9
iPod Touch 5th Gen:Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu9
iPod Touch 6th Gen:Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu9

iOS 8.0 - 8.4

iPad Air 2: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu8 or TaiG or PP
iPad Air: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu8 or TaiG or PP
iPad Mini 3 (Retina): Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu8 or TaiG or PP
iPad Mini 2 (Retina): Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu8 or TaiG or PP
iPad Mini: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu8 or TaiG or PP
iPad 4: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu8 or TaiG or PP
iPad 3: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu8 or TaiG or PP
iPad 2: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu8 or TaiG or PP
iPhone 6: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu8 or TaiG or PP
iPhone 6+: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu8 or TaiG or PP
iPhone 5S: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu8 or TaiG or PP
iPhone 5C : Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu8 or TaiG or PP
iPhone 5: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu8 or TaiG or PP
iPhone 4S: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu8 or TaiG or PP
iPod Touch 5th Gen: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu8 or TaiG or PP

iOS 7.1 - 7.1.2

iPad Air: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu7
iPad Mini: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu7
iPad 4: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu7
iPad 3: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu7
iPad 2: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu7
iPhone 5S: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu7
iPhone 5C: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu7
iPhone 5: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu7
iPhone 4S: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu7
iPhone 4: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu7
iPod Touch 5th Gen: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Pangu7

iOS 7.0-7.0.6

Guide on how to use Evasi0n7 for iOS 7.0 - 7.0.6

iPad Air: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Evasi0n7
iPad Mini: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Evasi0n7
iPad 4: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Evasi0n7
iPad 3: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Evasi0n7
iPad 2: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Evasi0n7
iPhone 5S: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Evasi0n7
iPhone 5C: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Evasi0n7
iPhone 5: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Evasi0n7
iPhone 4S: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Evasi0n7
iPhone 4: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Evasi0n7
iPod Touch 5th Gen: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Evasi0n7

iOS 6.1.6

The p0sixspwn does not support iOS 6.1.6, but the tether patch does. Jailbreak follow this set of instructions, then install the package through Cydia to untether jailbreak your device.

iPhone 3GS Old Bootrom: iPod Touch 4th Gen: Untethered Jailbreak Available using RedSn0w and installing p0sixspwn from Cydia or using p0sixspwn
iPhone 3GS New Bootrom:iPod Touch 4th Gen: Untethered Jailbreak Available using RedSn0w and installing p0sixspwn from Cydia or using p0sixspwn
iPod Touch 4th Gen: iPod Touch 4th Gen: Untethered Jailbreak Available using RedSn0w and installing p0sixspwn from Cydia or using p0sixspwn

iOS 6.1.5

Guide on How to Untethered Jailbreak using p0sixspwn utility

iPod Touch 4th Gen: Untethered Jailbreak Available using p0sixspwn
iOS 6.1.4

iPhone 5: Untethered Jailbreak Available using p0sixspwn

iOS 6.1.3

iPad Mini: Untethered Jailbreak Available using p0sixspwn
iPad 4: Untethered Jailbreak Available using p0sixspwn
iPad 3: Untethered Jailbreak Available using p0sixspwn
iPad 2: Untethered Jailbreak Available using p0sixspwn
iPhone 5: Untethered Jailbreak Available using p0sixspwn
iPhone 4S: Untethered Jailbreak Available using p0sixspwn
iPhone 4: Untethered Jailbreak Available using RedSn0w or Sn0wBreeze and installing p0sixspwn from Cydia or using p0sixspwn
iPhone 3GS New Bootrom: Untethered Jailbreak Available using RedSn0w or Sn0wBreeze and installing p0sixspwn from Cydia or using p0sixspwn
iPhone 3GS Old Bootrom: Untethered Jailbreak Available using RedSn0w or Sn0wBreeze or using p0sixspwn
iPod Touch 5th Gen: Untethered Jailbreak Available using p0sixspwn
iPod Touch 4th Gen: Untethered Jailbreak Available using RedSn0w or Sn0wBreeze and installing p0sixspwn from Cydia or using p0sixspwn

iOS 6.0 AND 6.0.1 AND 6.0.2 AND 6.1 AND 6.1.1 AND 6.1.2

Guide on How to Use Evasi0n

Guide on How to Tethered Jailbreak using RedSn0w (3GS/4/iPod Touch 4th Gen ONLY)

iPad Mini: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Evasi0n
iPad 4: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Evasi0n
iPad 3: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Evasi0n
iPad 2: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Evasi0n
iPhone 5: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Evasi0n
iPhone 4S: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Evasi0n
iPhone 4: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Evasi0n or Sn0wBreeze
iPhone 3GS New Bootrom: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Evasi0n or Sn0wBreeze
iPhone 3GS Old Bootrom: Untethered Jailbreak Available using RedSn0w or Evasi0n or Sn0wBreeze
iPod Touch 5th Gen: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Evasi0n
iPod Touch 4th Gen: Untethered Jailbreak Available using Evasi0n or Sn0wBreeze

iOS 5.1.1

Guide on How to Use Absinthe 2.0.4

Note: This version of Absinthe is compatible with all iOS 5.1.1 devices unlike the previous version.

iPad 3: Untethered Jailbreak Available using RedSn0w or Absinthe 2.0.4
iPad 2: Untethered Jailbreak Available using RedSn0w or Absinthe 2.0.4
iPad: Untethered Jailbreak Available using RedSn0w or Absinthe 2.0.4 or Sn0wBreeze
iPhone 4S: Untethered Jailbreak Available using RedSn0w or Absinthe 2.0.4
iPhone 4: Untethered Jailbreak Available using RedSn0w or Absinthe 2.0.4 or Sn0wBreeze
iPhone 3GS New Bootrom: Untethered Jailbreak Available using RedSn0w or Absinthe 2.0.4 or Sn0wBreeze
iPhone 3GS Old Bootrom: Untethered Jailbreak Available using RedSn0w or Absinthe 2.0.4 or Sn0wBreeze

iOS 5.1

iPad 3: Jailbreak NOT Available
iPad 2: Jailbreak NOT Available
iPad: Tethered Jailbreak Available using RedSn0w or Sn0wBreeze
iPhone 4S: Jailbreak NOT Available
iPhone 4: Tethered Jailbreak Available using RedSn0w or Sn0wBreeze
iPhone 3GS New Bootrom: Tethered Jailbreak Available using RedSn0w or Sn0wBreeze
iPhone 3GS Old Bootrom: Tethered Jailbreak Available using RedSn0w or Sn0wBreeze

iOS 5.0/5.0.1

Guide on How to Use Absinthe 0.4 for the iPhone 4S and iPad 2

Guide on How to Use RedSn0w for the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 on iOS 5.0 and 5.0.1

Reminder: Absinthe 0.4 is strictly for the iPhone 4S and iPad 2. It does not work for any other devices.

iPad 2: Untethered Jailbreak Available using RedSn0w or Absinthe 0.4
iPad: Untethered Jailbreak Available using RedSn0w or Sn0wBreeze
iPhone 4S: Untethered Jailbreak Available using RedSn0w or Absinthe 0.4
iPhone 4: Untethered Jailbreak Available using RedSn0wor Sn0wBreeze
iPhone 3GS New Bootrom: Untethered Jailbreak Available using RedSn0wor Sn0wBreeze
iPhone 3GS Old Bootrom: Untethered Jailbreak Available using RedSn0wor Sn0wBreeze

iOS 4.2.1

iPhone 3G: Untethered Jailbreak Available using RedSn0w or Sn0wBreeze

(This is just here for iPhone 3G users as most users are already on iOS 5 or iOS 6 for App compatibility)

FAQ
Q: Can I Jailbreak my iPhone 3G/3GS/4/4S/5/iPad1/iPad2/iPad3/iPad4/iPad Mini on X.X.X iOS?

A: Read above.....

Q: Can I upgrade my phone to iOS X.X.X and jailbreak?

A: As long as the iOS is listed above, and your device is there as well, and it says either tethered or untethered jailbreak available, then yes

Q: Can I jailbreak my device even though it's not the latest iOS?

A: Yes. You can ALWAYS jailbreak a device. It's independent of what iOS is signing. Example would be iOS 5.1.1. As long as iOS 5.1.1 is ON YOUR DEVICE, you can jailbreak it whenever. If your device is on iOS 4, you can still jailbreak, iOS 3 yes, iOS 2 yes, etc.

Q: Can I upgrade/downgrade/re-restore my iOS on my iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch?

A: Read this

Last edited:
I Know nothing about Jailbreak,oh i hear about it.I would rather not touch that

two things, please:
1) if we're on iP5 6.0.1 should we stay put - or okay to go to 6.0.2 if we want greatest possibility of jailbreak when available?

2) if we want to buy an new iP5 - would places like Best Buy be the most likely place to get one with 6.0.1 pre-installed instead of 6.0.2?

thankyou

1) Stay on iOS 6.0.1. iOS 6.0.2 and 6.1 beefed up their security protocols and made some obsolete, making it much harder to jailbreak..

2) That would depend on when it was manufacteured. If we're talking about the initial several hundred million iPhone 5s, then those would most likely be on iOS 6.0 or 6.0.1. If we're talking about a more recent batch that were manufacteured after or during the release of iOS 6.0.2, then those iPhones will most likely be on iOS 6.0.2.

1) Stay on iOS 6.0.1. iOS 6.0.2 and 6.1 beefed up their security protocols and made some obsolete, making it much harder to jailbreak..

2) That would depend on when it was manufacteured. If we're talking about the initial several hundred million iPhone 5s, then those would most likely be on iOS 6.0 or 6.0.1. If we're talking about a more recent batch that were manufacteured after or during the release of iOS 6.0.2, then those iPhones will most likely be on iOS 6.0.2.
thank so much for your info. this is the first time i've waited to get the next phone because i just need my jailbreak for the way I use my phone. but it occurred to me recently that the timing of buying your new phone at or near a new jailbreak of a new ios is critical. buy too late and it will come with an unjailbreakable ios. so where would i most likely find a source of new iP5s with only 6.0.1? or is it just a crapshoot at this point? i just bought an ipad 3rd gen for my motherinlaw for christmas from MicroCenter that was still on 5.1.1 if you can believe that.

The iPad 3 isn't exactly a new iPad since there is the "New iPad" which is termed basically iPad 4, so the iPad 3s that you would find on the shelves are basically an older batch. The last batch of the iPad 3s before they're discontinued will most likely be on iOS 6 or iOS 7 if that comes out relatively soon. Check the serial number and you should be able to tell based on the 3rd, 4th and 5th digits on the box.

The iPad 3 isn't exactly a new iPad since there is the "New iPad" which is termed basically iPad 4, so the iPad 3s that you would find on the shelves are basically an older batch. The last batch of the iPad 3s before they're discontinued will most likely be on iOS 6 or iOS 7 if that comes out relatively soon. Check the serial number and you should be able to tell based on the 3rd, 4th and 5th digits on the box.
i'm sorry, willerz2, but I don't quite follow. first i'm interested in buying an iP5 on 6.0.1. is there some way, from the serial number of an ip5 box which ios is preinstalled? thanks in advance.

I'm referring to the iOS 5.1.1 iPad 3 you purchased and how it came with iOS 5.1.1 because it's an older machine from an older batch. iOS 6.0.2 came out on the 18th of December 2012, which translates to the the 50th week of the year 2012. On the serial, the 3rd, 4th and 5th digit should read 250 or lower, meaning 249, 248, 247 etc etc are what you'd be looking for.

I'm referring to the iOS 5.1.1 iPad 3 you purchased and how it came with iOS 5.1.1 because it's an older machine from an older batch. iOS 6.0.2 came out on the 18th of December 2012, which translates to the the 50th week of the year 2012. On the serial, the 3rd, 4th and 5th digit should read 250 or lower, meaning 249, 248, 247 etc etc are what you'd be looking for.
Thanks, Willerz. I wonder if the Best Buy store will let me pick one with the serial I want. I know the Apple Stores will not. Maybe MicroCenter. thanks again.

Just ask them to let you see the underside of the box where the sticker is. Or you can just straight up ask them to check for you on the box.

Just ask them to let you see the underside of the box where the sticker is. Or you can just straight up ask them to check for you on the box.
great!! so numbers under 250 should still have 6.0 or 6.0.1 installed?