What's new

X & 6+ temporary switch

NancyH1990

Reaction score
Hi there,
  • In December 2017, I upgraded iPhone 6+ to iPhone X.
  • I still have iPhone 6+.
  • I will be in Italy for 45 days.
  • Due to nature of my business, missing gmail, voice, and text - not an option.
  • Verizon charges $10/day for international usage.
  • TIM/Vodaphone SIM is $40/month. It seems financially prudent to purchase the SIM card for the iPhone 6+ and have all gmail, text, and voice call forwarded. Gmail is easy because it is universal. Text and voice are my concern.
Questions:
  1. According to Apple website, I can set message forward via iMac message/preference/settings…. However, my iPhone 6+ is not listed because it won’t be in service until I am in Italy. By then, I can’t access my iMac. How do I accomplish this once I get the SIM card in Italy?
  2. How do I backup/sync/??? so iPhone 6+ has all the apps, messages, voice mail that I currently have on my iPhone X, prior to my departure? This way, upon arrival in Italy and new SIM card, it is closely resemblance my iPhone X.

Thanks for your expertise.

The new SIM card will have It's own phone number. You'll have to arrange for anything normally sent to your phone number to be sent to the Italian phone number associated with the new SIM card.
BTW, why don't you take your iPhone X with you?

Open the 6+, connect to your wifi, log into your iTunes/iCloud account, set up to additionally receive email, messages, phone calls etc from your other device (your X). Now when you put the SIM in it is still signed in to your account and still setup for what you are asking.

This will make all of your apps available for download - look in App Store under purchased Not on this Phone - that you can download while at home on the wifi before you go.

Hi there,

Both phones are unlocked. I own them straight out.
I was told that if I put in TIM (let's say that is the chosen provider in Italy), all my Verizon texts, VM... are deleted. Is this true?
If not, hypothetically, I can find out what is the new phone number upon purchase. Get to the hotel, forward voice call to new number....Yes, that would cost me $10 for the first day but that is OK. The issue is I was told that I have to forward my text FROM my main computer - iMac at my home. That is what I was told by folks at Apple Store. I don't have the new Italian phone number prior to departure.

Thanks guys.

log into your iTunes/iCloud account, set up to additionally receive email, messages, phone calls etc from your other device (your X). Now when you put the SIM in it is still signed in to your account and still setup for what you are asking.

This will make all of your apps available for download - look in App Store under purchased Not on this Phone - that you can download while at home on the wifi before you go.

zstairlessone,

When I log into iCloud account on my iPhone 6+, I do not see "receive email, messages, phone calls etc from iPhone X".
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks

To receive emails you need to add all of your emails

For messages go to Settings - Messages - Send & Receive and you will see all the phone numbers for iPhones (and any associated email addresses) you are signed into with your account under you can be reached by iMessage by. This also gives you the option of which phone or address to start new conversations from.

I can't show a screen shot because all it will show is my personal information (my phone numbers and iCloud account details)