What's new

will this work?

coldkilla

Reaction score
yo, if i buy an iphone 4 at rogers for $650, and its locked to rogers, can i unlock it and than jailbreak it and pop a simcard int here and pay $25 a month? i called rogers today and he said "its kind of a crazy idea because its locked to rogers", im guessing he doesn;t know that i want to unlock it and jailbreak it, he thinks im going to try to buy the phone and bring it to bell or telus? does anyone know what hes trying to say and does the procedure i want to do work? im willing to pay $650 for the iphone no contract 16GB

basically what i wanna do is:

buy iphone 4 for 650$
use tiny umbrella
upgrade to 4.1
jailbreak while on old baseband
than unlock it,
put a simcard in it with a 25$ pay as you go plan on the sim card

If you buy a new iPhone 4 now it will have 4.1 already on it so you won't be able to unlock it just now.

You would be better of buying a factory unlocked iPhone. For all the hassle of worrying about an unlock every time an update comes out you'd be better off paying the extra first off. It will also make the resale value alot more.

But one from the Apple Store in the UK for $780 and its unlocked for life....

buy a sim card locked to rogers then unlock and jailbreak to use rogers? why? if i understand correctly

Over here in the UK you get much better deals if you take out a sim only deal. It also only a 1 month contract instead of the usual 24month. Over all it works out way cheaper to go sim only. Of course you have to fork out big bucks upfront. I'm assuming there's somthing similar elsewhere?

In saying that if you buy a rogers iPhone and want to use a rogers sim in it there's no need for a jailbreak or an unlock.

Over here in the UK you get much better deals if you take out a sim only deal. It also only a 1 month contract instead of the usual 24month. Over all it works out way cheaper to go sim only. Of course you have to fork out big bucks upfront. I'm assuming there's somthing similar elsewhere?

In saying that if you buy a rogers iPhone and want to use a rogers sim in it there's no need for a jailbreak or an unlock.

really? how much does that cost? and isent the phone locked to that? but for only a month i take it lol

yo gaz, ur saying if i buy it now in stores its going to be 4.1?? why cant it be unlocked and jailbrocken. I basically want to use it as a normal phone with jailbrocken apps and wifi but no data.. someone tell me if i can unlock and jailbreak if i buy iphone 4 right now instores please.

yo gaz, ur saying if i buy it now in stores its going to be 4.1?? why cant it be unlocked and jailbrocken. I basically want to use it as a normal phone with jailbrocken apps and wifi but no data.. someone tell me if i can unlock and jailbreak if i buy iphone 4 right now instores please.

yes its going to be on 4.1 firmware. and because there is no unlock for 4.1 so you can jailbreak it and use it as a ipod until a 4.1 unlock is released a few days after official 4.2 release

really? how much does that cost? and isent the phone locked to that? but for only a month i take it lol

Well the contract I'm on is for 24 months @ £30 per month and I had to pay £100 upfront for the phone. For all that I get 600mins ant unlimited texts and internet with 500mb of tethering. So over the two years that's a total of £820!

If I was to buy the phone from apple, think its £500 roughly? I could get a free sim from any network I wish, and pay about £15 a month for the same deal (except the tethering), changing networks every month if I wanted to so I keep getting the best deal. Also I could sell the phone whenever I wanted, so when the iPhone 5 comes out (next year?) I could probably get around £300 for the 4G.

4.1 can be jailbroken but not unlocked unless you've not updated the baseband. A brand new phone will have 4.1 installed along with the currently unlockable baseband. An unlock is coming soon tho but if your just going to use a rogers sim anyway you don't even need the jailbreak.

In my opinion though you'd be better of buying an unlocked one from apple if you read what Ive written above.

Well the contract I'm on is for 24 months @ £30 per month and I had to pay £100 upfront for the phone. For all that I get 600mins ant unlimited texts and internet with 500mb of tethering. So over the two years that's a total of £820!

If I was to buy the phone from apple, think its £500 roughly? I could get a free sim from any network I wish, and pay about £15 a month for the same deal (except the tethering), changing networks every month if I wanted to so I keep getting the best deal. Also I could sell the phone whenever I wanted, so when the iPhone 5 comes out (next year?) I could probably get around £300 for the 4G.

4.1 can be jailbroken but not unlocked unless you've not updated the baseband. A brand new phone will have 4.1 installed along with the currently unlockable baseband. An unlock is coming soon tho but if your just going to use a rogers sim anyway you don't even need the jailbreak.

In my opinion though you'd be better of buying an unlocked one from apple if you read what Ive written above.

499 for the 16 and 599 for the 32...

so say on o2 you pay 15 a month minimum get 100 min free calls unlimited 3g and texts to uk numbers... so it works out better to just get it sim free. i mean how much do you tether any way? me i never do.. i bet some do a lot but if i need the net and i am out i am happy with the 3g on the iphone and you would get more for a factory unlocked phone rather then locked, though i never sell my phones so i can buy another usually (always lol) i break it and then buy a new one so i dont care about selling it, personally.. though im probably the only one who does not sell it lol...

and yes the iphone is always released summer july after anounced at the wwdc in june...

factory unlocked or nothing at all

Its way better getting a sim only deal and buying the phone yourself, not just iPhone's. Youre really paying for the phone on a contract.

I used to use tethering when I was on vodafone on my 3g. I couldnt get wifi in my old house :( This was when O2 were the only official supplier. Vodafone had no idea I had an iPhone or what tethering was. I was on an unlimited plan and was using over 10gb a month downloading torrents! Lol.

right and thats not including the monthly bills you pay... its better just to get it sim free and then buy your own sim.. in the uk they give out sims free any way

yo gaz, if i jailbreak i can get free apps right?? and just keep it locked to rogers since im going to use a simcard anywyas? thats with rogers?

yes you can get free apps but even soem cydia apps cost money... personally ill never pay for a jailbreak app

You don't need to worry about an unlock if your using a sim from the same carrier. As for jailbreak there's lost of reasons why you should. Just google 'why should I jailbreak' and you'll see what I mean ;)