What's new

Will my plan to get the iPhone work out?

Fugue

Reaction score
After a long 4 year wait Verizon finally released the iPhone! And I must say, using the Droid for a year was a grueling experience.

Anyways, back to my question. My roommate and I share a Verizon plan and our contracts end on the following dates:

xxx-xxx-xxxx (roommates cell number) - Currently eligible for early upgrade according to verizon website.

yyy-yyy-yyyy (my cell nubmer) - Upgrade available on 8/30/11.

Since he is not phone savvy like me will I be able to do the following: Upgrade for the iPhone 4 on Feb 3rd using his upgrade and swap our numbers? Meanwhile, he will be getting my old Droid in return. Then when 8/30/11 hits and the iPhone 5 will presumably be out I can upgrade using my upgrade and swap numbers again, this time giving him my iPhone 4?

I'm not really sure how the system works, thanks!

i believe the VZW page online lets you transfer upgrades now. just gotta make an account

After a long 4 year wait Verizon finally released the iPhone! And I must say, using the Droid for a year was a grueling experience.

Anyways, back to my question. My roommate and I share a Verizon plan and our contracts end on the following dates:

xxx-xxx-xxxx (roommates cell number) - Currently eligible for early upgrade according to verizon website.

yyy-yyy-yyyy (my cell nubmer) - Upgrade available on 8/30/11.

Since he is not phone savvy like me will I be able to do the following: Upgrade for the iPhone 4 on Feb 3rd using his upgrade and swap our numbers? Meanwhile, he will be getting my old Droid in return. Then when 8/30/11 hits and the iPhone 5 will presumably be out I can upgrade using my upgrade and swap numbers again, this time giving him my iPhone 4?

I'm not really sure how the system works, thanks!

Yes, you can do exactly that. You're not actually moving the numbers around, you're moving the phones though. So you're buying the phone on his account, then putting it onto your phone number. But buying at the 2-year contract price locks in his line for two years. It doesn't bind you to the phone, only to keeping the line active. You can do whatever you want with the phone - even sell it for $600 if you want. As long as you don't cancel that phone number.

Anyway, hope that made sense. You can do it all yourself if you have a MyVerizon account, or just go to the store and they can do it for you.

Another way to do it is to just call *228 from the phone you want to use, enter your 10-digit phone number, enter the account password (4 digits), and wait a minute for the phone to be programmed. Then you are now using that phone for whatever phone number you just typed in. It's that easy.

I did that same exact thing when I got my OG Droid. The reps will know exactly what your doing and will handle it perfectly.

Exact same thing I've always done and works without a problem. Great way to go. I know the NE2 is going away except those of us who have it now will have one last use. The thing I wonder about is I have two lines. The one I will be using for the iPhone next month and another that would be due mid summer. I wonder if the other line's NE2 will survive. I have a feeling it won't, but it would be nice.