What's new

Will 8 Plus Be Able to Sink with My Mac?

HunnieBunnie

Reaction score
I was wondering if the iphone 8 Plus would be able to sink with my Mac? My Mac is running OS Sierra 10.12.6, and insofar as I know, I cannot upgrade to a higher OS for my Mac.

Thanks!

Any Mac on macOS Sierra should be able to update to High Sierra. Which Mac do you have and what year is it?

It is a MacBook Air made mid 2011. I keep checking for updates, but it does not give me any more options. It is running OS Sierra 10.12.6.

I found a reasonable deal on an 8, but I do not want to purchase it if it will not sink with my Mac. Am I overlooking some way to upgrade to High Sierra? I know it would be better for a new phone to have it.

Checked the App Store and iTunes, but a search does not pull up High Sierra at all.

It is a MacBook Air made mid 2011. I keep checking for updates, but it does not give me any more options. It is running OS Sierra 10.12.6.

I found a reasonable deal on an 8, but I do not want to purchase it if it will not sink with my Mac. Am I overlooking some way to upgrade to High Sierra? I know it would be better for a new phone to have it.

Checked the App Store and iTunes, but a search does not pull up High Sierra at all.
Try going to About this Mac>Software Update.

I did that a few times. It does not show anything available.

Try clicking on the Featured tab at the top of the Mac App Store home page and scroll through the items displayed at the top of the page and see if it shows up there.

Tried it. I do not see High Sierra, only Catalina.

Thank you so much, scifan57! It worked!! You know, I looked to update that OS so many, many times, and I could never find it in the app store with a search. Took a good while for it to download and restart, but as soon as it did so, there was an update to High Sierra! So, downloading that now. So long as my phone and my Mac can sink until I can upgrade my Mac, then I will be happy enough. I guess High Sierra is the last OS upgrade I can do on my Mac now since it is from mid 2011. Oh, well.....

Thank you again! You are the best, kid!! :)

I do not know if I am imagining it or not, but my Mac seems to be faster. Pages are loading a lot faster. Maybe it is just my imagination.

Another question...once the new phone arrives, all I have to do is switch out the sim card from the old phone to the new one and let my carrier know the new phone's IMEI number?

Yessir long as the current SIM is the same size as the one for the new phone. I believe they are the same, but don’t quote me on it. You can also cut the SIM card down to fit if needed, which I don’t think you will have too. They will also send a new SIM card with the new phone, all that is needed is to call them and activate the new SIM card. That is if you are buying the phone new. Otherwise, switching your card or purchasing one for about $10 would be the other option if the phone isn’t new and/or your SIM card doesn’t fit. My son went from a 7 plus to an 8 plus and he likes it. Soon I will be updating my phone to the new 11 pro max, and by doing so I’ll get a free phone which I will then give to my son! Anyhow, enjoy whatever phone you decide to get. Good day and God Bless!!

Thank you so much, scifan57! It worked!! You know, I looked to update that OS so many, many times, and I could never find it in the app store with a search. Took a good while for it to download and restart, but as soon as it did so, there was an update to High Sierra! So, downloading that now. So long as my phone and my Mac can sink until I can upgrade my Mac, then I will be happy enough. I guess High Sierra is the last OS upgrade I can do on my Mac now since it is from mid 2011. Oh, well.....

Thank you again! You are the best, kid!! :)
Thanks. I’m glad I could help.

Thanks, 933. The phone I am getting is 'unlocked" so no SIM card comes with it. I think I might be able to transfer the SIM card from my current phone, but if not, it is not a big deal. I can probably order one on-line or go to the Cricket store to purchase one.

I hope you enjoy the 11. Very expensive phone! :)

Reactions: 933
I spoke to Apple yesterday, and they said the 8 and 8 Plus use the same size Sim card as the 5s, so all I should have to do is move the card to the new phone. Handy! :)