What's new

Will 8 Plus Be Able to Sink with My Mac?

I spoke to Apple yesterday, and they said the 8 and 8 Plus use the same size Sim card as the 5s, so all I should have to do is move the card to the new phone. Handy! :)
You may still have to call your cell phone provider to enable the sim on your new iPhone. But that is just a call.

Agreed. I believe all they need to know is the IMEI number.

Well, my new iphone 8 Plus should be here by the end of next week. I rather wanted a gold one, but the gold one was 128GB and $100 more, and I found a better deal on a brand new red 256GB model sealed in manufacturer's packaging, so now I have no worries of not having enough memory to hold as much of my music and photos as I might wish! Better still, I only paid slightly more for it than I did for my old 5s 64GB brand new. Would it be totally gauche of me to brag about the good deal I made? :p

Last edited:
Good deal!! You’ll be happy with it I’m sure coming from a 5. It should be a lot faster and you’ll also have a bit more screen. And with 256gb of storage you’ll be able to put a bunch of stuff on it! My 7 plus is a 128gb and I’ve yet to even get close to getting it full. I think I have used about 32gb of the 128gb I have. And I’ve got about 1000 pics and a bunch of songs as well. Not that many apps, maybe 50-60. At any rate, enjoy that new phone, it is definitely an upgrade over the 5.

Thank you, 933! Yes, I think I will be very happy with it. My eyesight is pretty bad now, and I think the larger screen will help me. I have to squint at my 5s even with my spectacles on, so I have known for a while that I needed a larger screen, and if it is faster, all the better!

I only used up about half of my 5s's memory in the 5 or so years I have owned it, but of course I never put music on it, much less films. Still cannot wrap my head around putting films on my mobile, but maybe someday....! (LOL) I probably will not max out 256GB, but it is good to know that it is there should I need it.

I shall miss my little 5s, though. It has been a good mobile for me these last few years. I would have stuck with it for another 5-6 years if the updates would have continued. Granted, I have no idea how I would have been able to continue to read the screen for that long, though!

I am just glad this is over. Oddly enough, shopping for a new mobile was more stressful than exciting for me. Now, I know I am covered for a few years and can forget it until the next time. Who knows where the technology shall be 5-6 years from now, or even if I shall still be here? C'est la vie....

Now, I shall have to find a new case for this new, larger mobile. That is more of a happy task than was hunting down a new mobile in the first place! :)

Last edited:
Well, the bad news is the deal fell through on the 256GB phone with the eBay seller. The good news is I have no more patience for eBay sellers, so I went to the Apple store this afternoon and bought an 8 Plus 128GB and have set it up all by myself! I belled my carrier with the new IMEI number, and then I switched out the SIM card from the old phone to the new 8 Plus, and it seem to be working fine.

It is a nice phone, but it does not seem all that much different from my 5s. It does seem to be a bit faster and have a bigger screen. I like the bigger screen. I can read it so much better. Of course, I now how to buy a screen protector and a case for it. Any recommendations??

I’ve been using a Zagg invishield, they are lifetime warranties so if you crack one, they send a new one that just costs the price of shipping. As for cases, Pelican makes some good ones, as does otterbox. I’ve seen many other ones here as well that appear to be well made, but they cost a lot more. Check eBay or Amazon as they normally have them for good prices. That or hit up Walmart and see what they have. Enjoy that new phone. Also if you don’t know, you can adjust the text size in your settings under “Display & Brightness”. You can adjust the size of the text and make it pretty big. Again, enjoy the new phone! God Bless and have a great evening!

Thank you, 933! I think I put a Zagg on my 5s. I will probably order from either Amazon or possibly something from etsy. This time, given the size of the screen, I would like to have one of those cases that can stand the phone up. A wallet case? I do not have to do too much running around this week, so I am not too worried about it, but I do not want to leave it unprotected for long.

I really like it, but I cannot get over how similar it is to my 5s despite seeing pictures of it before I purchased. As soon as I get this phone paid off, I need to replace my Mac. I am not sure this new phone is communicating with my Mac. I have not taken any photos or anything yet, though. I was surprised that my 5s is still getting notifications of emails, etc. The only thing it does not seem to do is make calls. I guess it is still operating off of WiFi.

Well, everyone have a wonderful week ahead! Cheers! :)

Just to update this, it appears Zagg has some nice cases in their site as well as screen protectors. They aren’t cheap, but when you spend a bunch on a phone, I suppose being cheap with a case isn’t a good idea. I know there are some less expensive cases, but do a search for the ones on the Zagg site and you’ll see why they are as expensive as they are. They appear to be very well built and can take a drop without damaging your phone. Anyhow, have a great day and enjoy that phone!

Thanks, 933. Actually, I ordered a screen protector and a case on Amazon yesterday. The Purity Glass protector had tons of good verified purchase reviews. It is supposed to be a no hassle install, so I ordered it and the Luvvitt clear case. I had a Luvvitt case on my 5s which worked fine. Any time I left the house with the phone, I put it inside a padded eyeglass case before putting it into my handbag. It always worked fine. My 5s still looks like the day I removed it from its sealed box. Unfortunately, the 8 Plus will not fit in that padded, zipped eyeglass case I was using for the 5s, so I am now looking for a slightly larger padded case.

The Zagg screen protector worked fine for me on my 5s. I am very careful with my phone, though, so it never really faced anything dangerous to the screen. I try to take very good care of my things. I was taught that as a young child--one of life's basic lessons I suppose. :)

ETA: I saw this case on etsy and really liked it. I might order it eventually just because it is so pretty.

Phone Case Unique IPhone 8 Plus Blush Pink Bride Phone Case Spring Flower Case Bouquet IPhone Case Handmade Phone Case Pretty Phone Case SE