What's new

Widespread Problems Reported With iPhone 6 Plus Displays

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
iPhone 6 Plus phones suffering touch screen glitch.JPG

9to5 Mac reports that according to iFixit, many iPhone 6 Plus and some iPhone 6 users have been complaining about a touchscreen glitch that is occurring with their phones.

iFixit says that the displays of the affected phones are unresponsive when touched, due to a fault with the Touch IC chips that control the display, rather than the actual display itself.

“This issue is widespread enough that I feel like almost every iPhone 6/6+ has a touch of it (no pun intended) and are like ticking bombs just waiting to act up,” said Jason Villmer, owner of STS Telecom.

The phones that are affected in this way often also have a thin grey flickering line across the top of the display (pictured).

Apple has been made aware of the problem, and there are a several different ways in which Apple seems to be dealing with it. Some users have said that Apple stores have not done anything about it, while other users have said that Apple retail stores have replaced the faulty iPhones with new ones. Some of the repair shops that iFixit interviewed about the issue even said that the problem is so widespread that Apple should launch a recall or repair program.

Some of the repair shops have also been making their own repairs to the affected phones, with great success, by adding metal shields to keep the logic board from flexing.

Picture credit: iFixit

Source: Report: iPhone 6/Plus units w/ unresponsive displays & gray flickering now widespread

This problem has been around for months. My iPhone 6 Plus started having symptoms in May and I got a free replacement iPhone 2 weeks ago under AppleCare +.

The fault is with the way the Touch IC chips are soldered to the logic board and not with the chips themselves. Slight flexing of the iPhone during the course of normal use can cause the solder joints connecting the chips to the logic board to fail over time without the iPhone having any visual signs of bending.

Last edited:
Mine does it. No biggie. Just tap it on my knee and it's fine
The problem gets worse over time on the affected iPhones and workaround solutions like yours will eventually no longer work, as happened on my iPhone. Did you purchase AppleCare+ when you bought the iPhone or is your standard warranty is still in effect? If so, head to your nearest Apple Store for a free replacement. If your standard warranty has expired and you didn't get AppleCare+, Apple will not replace it for free but will treat it like an out of warranty repair.
This problem is becoming so widespread that I'd be surprised if Apple did not eventually announce an extended replacement program for iPhones with this issue.

Last edited:
The problem gets worse over time on the affected iPhones and workaround solutions like yours will eventually no longer work, as happened on my iPhone. Did you purchase AppleCare+ when you bought the iPhone or is your standard warranty is still in effect? If so, head to your nearest Apple Store for a free replacement. If your standard warranty has expired and you didn't get AppleCare+, Apple will not replace it for free but will treat it like an out of warranty repair.
This problem is becoming so widespread that I'd be surprised if Apple did not eventually announce an extended replacement program for iPhones with this issue.
I hope you are right. My iPhone 6+ is not yet showing signs of this and I want to keep it another year. My AppleCare+ expires next month.

Mine has been like this for about 6 months. Doesn't happen as often now as it did when it first started

Mine has been like this for about 6 months. Doesn't happen as often now as it did when it first started
Your iPhone must be unique, then. Every other iPhone with the problem has seen the problem get worse over time.

I hope you are right. My iPhone 6+ is not yet showing signs of this and I want to keep it another year. My AppleCare+ expires next month.

Is it not possible to an extension on your Apple Care+ ?
Just in case.

Gregory lsaacs r.i.p.

AppleCare+ cannot be renewed when the expiration date arrives.

Is it possible ( not really correct) to go Apple and now before his + expires and tell them that it's happening now and again on his iPhone. OK l they might tell him to leave it there but it's worth a try ???

Gregory lsaacs r.i.p.

Just wondering:
Doesn't Apple Care + expand the warranty to two years? The 6s came out last year, so Apple Care + shouldn't expire this year.

Just wondering:
Doesn't Apple Care + expand the warranty to two years? The 6s came out last year, so Apple Care + shouldn't expire this year.
The display problems occur mainly on the iPhone 6 Plus and to a lesser extent the iPhone 6. The design of the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus were changed to eliminate the problem.

Last edited:
The display problems occur mainly on the iPhone 6 Plus and to a lesser extent the iPhone 6. The design of the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus were changed to eliminate the prioblem.
Sorry! I misread bear's post, and read 6s instead of 6+. That's why I was wondering why her warranty will expire soon.

I still think bear should give it to Apple, although not correct neither is a very expensive iPhone that has a ( problem ) and may go wrong just after the warranty is over.
Nobody on here will write their agreement with me, but l bet some members are thinking the same.

Gregory lsaacs r.i.p.