What's new

Wi Fi

FunkatronJive

Reaction score
when I have my iPhone4 connected to wi fi, am I using any of my service provider data for anything????

Im talking email, skype, windows messenger, facebook, apps store etc....

As long as you have a strong WiFi signal, you won't use any data plan minutes. To be sure you can turn off "Cellular Data" and 3G in "Settings" when you're on WiFi. Remember to turn them back on when you need then. The phone will work fine with them turned off.

What Pocobear said. When I have wifi reception I switch off 'Cellular Data'.

Settings>General>Network>Cellular Data

Last edited:
But... to answer the OPs question.... yes, when you're on wifi at home you ARE using data from your Service Provider, but not the data in your phone plan. If you're on wifi at another location, such as Starbucks, obviously you're using neither your phone's data plan nor your home service provider.

But... to answer the OPs question.... yes, when you're on wifi at home you ARE using data from your Service Provider, but not the data in your phone plan. If you're on wifi at another location, such as Starbucks, obviously you're using neither your phone's data plan nor your home service provider.

This doesn't answer the question. It's not very clear what your saying here!!

As long as you have a strong WiFi signal, you won't use any data plan minutes. To be sure you can turn off "Cellular Data" and 3G in "Settings" when you're on WiFi. Remember to turn them back on when you need then. The phone will work fine with them turned off.

Agree mostly, Pocobear, except when the iPhone goes into Sleep mode, wi-fi is turned off. If any running apps need data while in Sleep mode, they'll use 3G/cellular data-plan bandwidth, if those functions aren't turned off. Right? Right.

So I turned off the cellular data and 3G for the first two days and didnt like how I couldnt receive text messages (and phone calls Im assuming).. so I would like to keep those two on and still use my wi fi for downloading things or going online... especially when we go away for christmas... I will want to use wi fi when I can but be able to recieve emergency calls... as long as I see the little wi fi symbol am I not 100% only using my internet service provider data?

When you are on wifi, all of your data is coming to you via your internet service provider, NOT through your ATT data plan. Of course you can receive and make phone calls, and you can receive and send text messages. They have nothing to do with wifi OR your ATT data plan. Phone and texts do not come to you over the internet so they will never count against your data plan.

When you are on wifi, all of your data is coming to you via your internet service provider, NOT through your ATT data plan. Of course you can receive and make phone calls, and you can receive and send text messages. They have nothing to do with wifi OR your ATT data plan. Phone and texts do not come to you over the internet so they will never count against your data plan.

Here we go again........

You're correct, except that when in a wi-fi environment, if your iPhone goes into Sleep Mode, it loses the wi-fi connection and uses data plan broadband for any online acivity it needs to accomplish. You agree with that, right?

I wouldn't like to cause another argument but I wouldn't agree with that.

I would agree however, that sometimes when you 'wake' your phone from sleep mode you see the 3G icon for a split second before it changes to the wifi logo. So I can see the confusion. I think however that in your thread (EWyatt) about using 3G in standby I showed that mine doesn't use carrier data in sleep mode and others agreed the same with their phones...

OK so I understand... and now I see there is NO NEED to turn off 3G or cellular data when using wi fi because it is definitely using wi fi....

I have an issue with what you are saying about when the phone is in sleep mode... I have been putting on xm and putting it to sleep.. I certainly hope I am not using my plan data for that....

Here we go again........

You're correct, except that when in a wi-fi environment, if your iPhone goes into Sleep Mode, it loses the wi-fi connection and uses data plan broadband for any online acivity it needs to accomplish. You agree with that, right?

Never thought about that. Wifi automatically comes on when I enter the house. I'm going to test this tonight by turning off all cellular data to see if I still have any emails when I get up in the morning. If I do, then I'll know that it is wifi only.