What's new

Why did you buy Otterbox defender series ?

quicklyyashphone

Reaction score
Several days ago,I want to buy a solid case for my new iphone 7.Someone told me otterbox is my best choice for the men like me.But I think that's very expensive case more than my budget.I don't know how to choice.

So I want to know why did you buy otterbox defender series ? work ? sport ? or drop the phone frequently ?

Dude it's a solid case for any kind of situation!
Believe me!
Have already experienced the sturdiness of this case and I have an iPhone 7!
Yeah agree the case makes it uncomfortable in the pocket!!
But case like this have seen nowhere else!
Wanted to try the Mous case by a startup!!
Waiting for the delivery to happen!
But if you are the one with fragile hands and in a way want the maximum protection for your iPhone I would suggest you go for Otterbox defender series but there are cons!
Mainly
- as I said it makes keeping your phone in your pocket a bit uncomfortable
- takes away the aesthetics of the iPhone
- might cause some disturbance with Bluetooth devices like headphones: but might be a one-off case also plays with the network reception- again might be a one off case

Buts it's a great value for money for all I know!

I've tried all kinds of cases. Started with Otterbox Defender, then tried the Armor series when it came out (big heavy thing, even compared to Defender), then tried the Lifeproof cases, which are ok, but eh, still prefer the Defender and now only buy the Defender. Yes, it's big, it's bulky, etc, but it's tough. Really tough. A couple months ago I made a post about having my phone ran over. Long story short, I was riding my motorcycle to work, and phone was in my RAM mount, which is on the handlebars on the bike. At about 65mph,the phone flew out of my mount, hit my shoulder, then skyrocketed into the air. I looked back in time to see my phone gaining altitude, then proceed to come crashing down in the roadway, then get hit by a Honda Accord, then get ran over by the truck behind it. Well crud. I pull over, ride back on the shoulder, find the wreckage. It looks bad, but when I pick up the pieces, phone was working. I snapped case back together, and all is well. Phone is bent a little, but it works perfectly, not a scratch on it, screen isn't cracked, AND the case snapped back together and is still on the phone.

Not only that, but I'm a warehouse manager, so I'm out in the shop a lot, and my phone gets banged and dropped all the time. Up until this one got ran over, all my phones have come out looking brand new after a couple years in an Otterbox Defender.

I'll add that I hate the screen protector, so I pop that out before installing on phone.

EDIT: Also, check for sales. Defenders do go on sale, and can be had for $30, sometimes less. I got mine from BestBuy for $15. It was on super sale, and only had black, but it was cheap. Amazon has them often too, usually $25 or less.

My father uses an Otterbox case for his iPhone since he works in construction and needed a case that not only absorbs shock, but also covers all the ports on the phone so they don't fill up with dust and debris. Before he started using the Otterbox, he constantly had issues with connectors and the headphone jack filling up with sawdust. Huge PITA.

Another vote for the Otterbox defender. I've been using that case for several iPhones over the last 4 years. I've dropped phones onto concrete floors from 1 foot to over 10 feet and not had any issues, just picked it up and used it as usual. Also, the defender is a cheap investment that will earn back its purchase price when you sell the phone to supplement the cost of a new phone. Every phone I've put into an Otterbox Defender came out looking like new and brought a premium price because of its excellent condition.

Just a note: I have an Otterbox on my 6S Plus and could not swipe up or down to get the notification screens. I also could not 3D press the side to bring up my app switcher. There was a physical gap between the screen cover and the screen causing this and causing me to have to press hard to deflect the cover to sense my digit and triggering the 3D Touch everywhere else (except the side where I couldn't push hard enough to sense contact at all). I had to remove the screen protector to utilize features on my phone and to operate it normally.

Note 2: I have Defenders for my 5S and 4S and they are absolutely wonderful!! Screen cover is flush etc. which is why I bought one as my first 6S Plus cover.

Just a note: I have an Otterbox on my 6S Plus and could not swipe up or down to get the notification screens. I also could not 3D press the side to bring up my app switcher. There was a physical gap between the screen cover and the screen causing this and causing me to have to press hard to deflect the cover to sense my digit and triggering the 3D Touch everywhere else (except the side where I couldn't push hard enough to sense contact at all). I had to remove the screen protector to utilize features on my phone and to operate it normally.

Note 2: I have Defenders for my 5S and 4S and they are absolutely wonderful!! Screen cover is flush etc. which is why I bought one as my first 6S Plus cover.

While I haven't experienced the issue you describe, I've had to remove the membrane over the home button to get the fingerprint sensor to work reliably on my last two iPhones. Prior the the removal, the fingerprint sensor was very problematic especially in the winter.

I used the Defender on my old iPhone 5. Loved it. It was the old style with the flap over the home button. It was occasionally hard to swipe up the control center. No other issues. I use the Otterbox Commuter on my 6s Plus. I like it too. I use no screen protector at all. It's almost 2 years old, and no scratches or anything.