What's new

whats the worst thing that could happen?

fady

Reaction score
Greetings

I got a factory unlocked 32 GB iphone 4 2 days ago, yesterday, i decided to jailbreak it. It was on Ios 4.1 so i downloaded greenpois0n, and tinyumbrella to save the SHSH blob, however the SHSH blob was saved as 4.2.1 ( isnt it supposed to be saved as 4.1?) , anyway, i ignored it and started the jailbreaking process but while trying to enter the dfu mode , i clicked a wrong button so the screen turned black and all i could get after that is the screen on which there is a usb cable and itunes logo.. so i decided to restore it.. itunes forced me to update to 4.2.1 while restoring and i accepted it because i was desperate to fix the phone, however, even after downloading the 4.2.1 fw and during the restoring process i got the 1013 error .. i did some search and fixed it and finally the phone worked again. This process took me 5 hours, the longest 5 hours of my life i was really worried , it was a really unpleasant experience.

So am wondering , whats the worst thing that could happen if i try to jailbreak it again? is there even a slight chance that the phone get bricked or never work again?

Now lets say i decided to try again.. whats the safest or shall i say the easiest way? should i downgrade to 4.1 and try limera1n, use redsn0w on 4.2.1 or wait for the upcoming 4.3 Ios and jailbreak?

Thnx in advance :)

ive bricked mine, its stuck in a 'connect to itunes' loop. nothing i have tried is working so its off to the iphone store. i will let you know what happens, mebbe they will sort it. im not sure if they will be able to tell it was j/b'd i hope not. previously i have taken in j/b'd phones because there was a crack in the rear case(3gs) and they replaced it. im hopeing they will sort it otherwise its going on ebay!

ive bricked mine, its stuck in a 'connect to itunes' loop. nothing i have tried is working so its off to the iphone store. i will let you know what happens, mebbe they will sort it. im not sure if they will be able to tell it was j/b'd i hope not. previously i have taken in j/b'd phones because there was a crack in the rear case(3gs) and they replaced it. im hopeing they will sort it otherwise its going on ebay!

even restoring didnt work? :confused:

You can't brick an iPhone since the 2G. There's always a way out.

You wouldn't of got your SHSH's for 4.1 because at that time 4.2.1 was out. Apple stop signing old firmwares (giving out SHSH's) shortly after releasing the new firmware. Since you don't have SHSH's for 4.1 you can't go back.

If I were you I would wait for untethered 4.2.1 or 4.3...

even restoring didnt work? :confused:

no it didnt, but i have found a solution, it was a confusing one and i went back to apple again(they didnt do anything the second time) see solution below

You can't brick an iPhone since the 2G. There's always a way out.

You wouldn't of got your SHSH's for 4.1 because at that time 4.2.1 was out. Apple stop signing old firmwares (giving out SHSH's) shortly after releasing the new firmware. Since you don't have SHSH's for 4.1 you can't go back.

If I were you I would wait for untethered 4.2.1 or 4.3...

after a bit of research i realised youre right and the iphone was in perfect working order.

i did the following, im on win 7 pc.

locate the host file in windows/system32 open with notepad, (run notepad as admin or it wont save!!)

delete the lines with gs.apple in, i had 3 lines. reboot your pc at this point.!!!

i then got issues with the drivers for dfu mode etc, unrelated to the host file. i went into device manager, right click computer and select manage.
i uninstalled the apple mobile device driver.

i then uninstalled all apple software via control panel.

rebooted, downloaded and installed itunes again and all was well.

do a full restore, this does update baseband and firmware but since i have the original sim card and wanted 4.2.1(no blobs for 4.1) it wasnt an issue.

i was then able to jailbreak via redsnow and this time itunes kept my media in the correct folder(the other issues i had previously)

installed appsync and all my apps went back on!!

the 1013 error is to do with the hosts file bieng corrupted/altered by tiny umbrella or the user. you can re add the lines you removed after you have sorted your phone out.

there is also a box in tiny that saves the host file(modified) on exit. uncheck this if you plan to use official updates, im on 4.2.1 so i have no need for tiny just yet but my 4.2.1 blobs are saved.

hope this helps someone and if any part isnt clear just let me know.

it was a real nightmare!!! i was worried i had killed the phone after less that 2 weeks of ownership!!!

i wish they would get on with the untethered j/b (i know its not that simple)
i darent install anything whist away from my pc!!