What's new

What's Draining my Battery?

I believe the problem is ios5. On my iPhone 4 I had no problems with battery life until I upgraded to 5.0. I upgraded to 5.0.1 thinking that this was supposed to solve the problem but the problem seems to be the same (or maybe a little worse).
Interesting. Most people aren't having any trouble with 5.0.1 on a 4. Only the 4s's seem to be having the issues. But their A5 chips eat more power - so if it's a software issue it should affect 4's and 4s's and 3GS's which can all be loaded with 5.0.1.

craigtaz said:
What the heck does that mean?

It's my way of say plus one. The Arabic script says iCrank The Ruler its my signature.

إيكرانك...المسطرة

It's my way of say plus one. The Arabic script says iCrank The Ruler its my signature.

إيكرانك...المسطرة

I was just asking in another post what it means. Here is my answer. But you can just hit the like button, or use a more universal way of saying "plus one" since I guess few know the meaning of it. I was far away of thinking that it means "plus one" actually, but now I know :)

bab2010 said:
I was just asking in another post what it means. Here is my answer. But you can just hit the like button, or use a more universal way of saying "plus one" since I guess few know the meaning of it. I was far away of thinking that it means "plus one" actually, but now I know :)

The like button is only available on the desktop version of ipf. 99% of the time I use the app. Wish it was there though. Plus I set my own standards and identity when it comes to forum posting. Gotta be different , ya know!

إيكرانك...المسطرة

iCrank said:
The like button is only available on the desktop version of ipf. 99% of the time I use the app. Wish it was there though. Plus I set my own standards and identity when it comes to forum posting. Gotta be different , ya know!

إيكرانك...المسطرة

We wouldn't have it any other way man! :D

This may be posted somewhere else, but if you're having battery issues (most iPhone 4S users are) this may or may not help.

Try going to: Settings, Location Services and then scroll to "System Services" and turn off: Compass Calibration, Setting Time Zone, location based aids (adverts) turning off Traffic and Diagnostics (unless you use them both). This made a HUGE improvement in my battery life, but only after a complete reboot. Actually I also entered DFU mode a few times during some other things... I was doing but I imagine it was just the reboot that helped if anything.

If it helps, then you can start turning whichever items you need/want back on until you hit the drain again. You might also take a screen cap of your current settings so you can return them to what they were if it doesn't help or has some other adverse effect.

Rick

Rick,

Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a try.

This 4S is my first iPhone. I traded in my Motorola Droid which had similar problems. My wife is laughing at me right now cause her beat up old Droid is working better than my brand new iPhone : (

My wife is laughing at me right now cause her beat up old Droid is working better than my brand new iPhone : (

Give her this, Graig! I just got the Samsung Galaxy IIs and I love it. My friend was listening to me praise my iPad and sent me the lil green man!

Iwhat_21.jpg

UPDATE:

I took my iPhone to the Apple store today. They couldn't find anything wrong with it, but offered to replace it for me since it is so new. That's when the trouble started.

See thread titled "Sim Card Question" if you're interested.

Craig

Well - on a whim today I decided to turn off EVERYTHING in the Location Services - System section (bottom of that window) and WOW!! has that made a difference in my battery life!!!! I've been off charger now for 3 hours and it's at 95%!!! It took over an hour of standby and lite forum/email reading to even budge off 100%.

Now I had done several tests by trying to turn off just Time Zone Settings and that alone did NOT help my battery life. So that's not the issue for me. I know it's a little dumb to change multiple variables at the same time when trying to test - I guess that's why I chose my name testerwannabe!! Lol!

But suffice it to say something in location services is at the center of this battery drain bug.

I've been reading this forum for 20minutes and my battery has gone down from 80% to 65%ocation services are off and the brughtnes is low

I've been reading this forum for 20minutes and my battery has gone down from 80% to 65%ocation services are off and the brughtnes is low

What about the phone signal reception? Are you having full 5bars? Some other stuff running in the background? What about the push email?

push email is on but all background apps are closed like usual and I'm on wifi but I have 3 bars

With that kinda setting you are having and except for push email which is on, here is how the battery life should be if you are having full bar and have 3G off.
7588006c-f2a3-a423.jpg

After more than 1h of usage, most of it I was reading PDF files on the device actually, but I'm having full signal bars all time and 3G is off brightness is about 40% and push mail, location services are all off.
I made 3 or 4 phone calls during the 1h time also played music for a while. No iMessage, no SMS.