What's new

What's Draining my Battery?

craigtaz

Reaction score
I bought the 4S the day they went on sale. I have just now have started having problems with something rapidly draining my battery. I suspect it's one of my apps. My phone will suddenly become very warm, and the battery life will go from 70 percent to zero within a matter of minutes. How can I find out what's killing my battery?

I've searched the app store for an app killer app, like I had on my old Droid, but I couldn't find anything.

Craig

Loading....plusone..etcetera..etcetera

إيكرانك...المسطرة

An app killer isn't necessary for iPhone's. You have a hardware issue plaguing your device. I would immediately take it to the Apple Store and get it replaced for a new unit.

Thanks for re-opening my thread. I'll take it back to Verizon ASAP.

iCrank said:
Loading....plusone..etcetera..etcetera

إيكرانك...المسطرة

What the heck does that mean?

I did a test yesterday. I did not use the phone for 4 hours. When I unplugged the charge was 100%. After the phone just sitting there for 4 hours the charge was down to 63%. I made sure nothing was on. No WiFi, no data, no BT, etc.

That is just plain ridiculous. Most phone might have been down a few percent, but 33% for nothing...sheesh

craigtaz said:
Thanks for re-opening my thread. I'll take it back to Verizon ASAP.

Your welcome!
Although if taking it back to an Apple store was an option I would do that instead. If it isn't an option, then by all means take it back to Verizon. :D!

I bought it from Verizon so I assume that's where I would have to return it to. Will the Apple store help me?

DarkStar,
Is this now the only officially sanctioned battery life thread since the big one (600+ posts) is now closed? I don't want to contribute to a thread that will be shortly closed. Please advise.

There is no way to determine how long a thread will remain open. Just enjoy the forum and do not worry.

Back on topic, please.

craigtaz said:
I bought it from Verizon so I assume that's where I would have to return it to. Will the Apple store help me?

Yes the Apple store will help you. :)!
Just call them and tell them your situation, I'm sure they'll set up an appointment with you.

Thanks DarkStar. I called my local Apple store and got a recording that told me I had to make an appointment online. I then found that I could do it with my Apple Store app. I successfully made my Genius Bar appointment for tomorrow afternoon.

Wow - what a great resource here. Thanks for hosting such a forum! I was reading in another thread that I can't seem to post to - that there's also a new theory about the gpu being on all the time at 100% and that that is causing some of the drain on the the 4s's that we're hearing about an all experiencing. I too am experiencing drain but no heat problems like the original poster here is reporting. Does anyone know any more about the validity of this new theory. I'm just trying to get to bottom of this battery drain issue. And I'm getting a little impatient for a fix. :-(

I believe the problem is ios5. On my iPhone 4 I had no problems with battery life until I upgraded to 5.0. I upgraded to 5.0.1 thinking that this was supposed to solve the problem but the problem seems to be the same (or maybe a little worse).

I dont know what you guys are doing to drain the battery's but mine has worked just as well as my old 4 without any issues.