What's new

What is this line?!

Barnsworth

Reaction score
So if you look at the two photo's I've upload, no matter what wallpaper I set up there is this line under the signal bars and battery level. I'll say the wallpapers I've tried, obviously I haven't tried them all. Doesn't matter if it's a live wallpaper or a still that crazy line is still there.

Anyone have any ideas?

img2.PNG
Img1.JPG

So if you look at the two photo's I've upload, no matter what wallpaper I set up there is this line under the signal bars and battery level. I'll say the wallpapers I've tried, obviously I haven't tried them all. Doesn't matter if it's a live wallpaper or a still that crazy line is still there.

Anyone have any ideas?

View attachment 38134 View attachment 38135

That line is there to let you know that by swiping down from that part of the screen is how you enter control center on the iPhone X. On all other iPhones, you swipe up from the bottom of the screen to enter control center, so Apple put that line there to let people know that on the X, that is where you need to swipe down to enter control center. It may be removed later down the road in a future software update once people get used to the new location and gesture to enter control center.

Reactions: 933
That line is there to let you know that by swiping down from that part of the screen is how you enter control center on the iPhone X. On all other iPhones, you swipe up from the bottom of the screen to enter control center, so Apple put that line there to let people know that on the X, that is where you need to swipe down to enter control center. It may be removed later down the road in a future software update once people get used to the new location and gesture to enter control center.

Well alrighty then! Why doesn't it see to be on all phones? My son has an X and he doesn't have it and I was looking at another thread here where people were showing off their wallpaper and no one else had it. I have the phone updated to 11.2.

Do you have it on your phone?

Well alrighty then! Why doesn't it see to be on all phones? My son has an X and he doesn't have it and I was looking at another thread here where people were showing off their wallpaper and no one else had it. I have the phone updated to 11.2.

Yes I have it. On 11.2 as well.

11.2 - Don’t have it. But I have a faint remembrance that I had it first time I opened it when I got my X a week ago. And that it somehow disappeared without me changing any settings

That’s the lock screen Control Center indicator line, as described above. It should be persistent when your iPhone is running iOS 11.2. With a previous software, it disappeared forever when you swiped down to open the control centre once.
The explanation why there are screenshots without that bar in that thread, is that they were posted before 11.2 was made available. I assume your son’s iPhone X is not up to date, so it doesn’t show that indicator.

Last edited:
the bar is still showing in the 6th seed of 11.2 beta so at this point it does not look like it is going anywhere. personally I don't really see the point in it. the vast majority of people with a iPhone X are pretty iOS savvy and therefore once they are told where the control centre is they will remember. I don't see the need to keep the line there. whey not have one under the network on the other side of the notch to show where to swipe down for your notifications??

the bar is still showing in the 6th seed of 11.2 beta so at this point it does not look like it is going anywhere. personally I don't really see the point in it. the vast majority of people with a iPhone X are pretty iOS savvy and therefore once they are told where the control centre is they will remember. I don't see the need to keep the line there. whey not have one under the network on the other side of the notch to show where to swipe down for your notifications??

Because the swipe screen for notifications does not work on lock screen.

I have the bar and it was added with 11.2

Mike

Because the swipe screen for notifications does not work on lock screen.

I have the bar and it was added with 11.2

Mike
fair call mike. you are right. but I still don't see the need for the bar. but I don't see the need for a lot of things that people do in life. apple for some reason thought it was necessary.

fair call mike. you are right. but I still don't see the need for the bar. but I don't see the need for a lot of things that people do in life. apple for some reason thought it was necessary.

No neither do I [emoji4] I can though see the point of the line for consistency and they wouldn’t want a line on the home screen itself.

Having moved from some time ago from the windows environment it’s refreshing to get continual change and on the whole an upgrade to the OS. Sometimes challenging though when you go to a function you don’t use much and it’s changed. Worth it on the whole though.

Mike

So I just talked to my son and he is running 11.1.1 and he doesn't have the line. If I remember correctly I have always had it there. It's a strange thing with some having it and some not.

Sorry for the out of focus, didn't want a ton of irrelevant information in the picture