What's new

What happened to Home Sharing?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, apparently, iOS 8.4 dispensed with the capability. Have to admit, I didn't notice, being busy with other toys at the time.

iOS 9 brought the capability back, but changed the way of accessing it somewhat.

First, make sure Home Sharing is turned on and that your OS X and iOS devices are on the same network.
Next, go to the Music app on your phone and touch the arrow next to Artists. You'll find Home Sharing in the resulting drop down menu. You can select your iTunes library from there, and either play the tunes on your phone, or plug the phone into a non-AirPlay amplifier. With an AirPlay amplifier you don't need your phone. You can just select AirPlay as your output device.

I posed it as a question because that was what was running through my head as I was trying to do something that should have been dead simple.

I was setting up a sound system in my garage and wanted to use my phone as a source. Having used Remote to turn off the cacophony from my cave, which contains about 11 speakers and 2 subwoofers, I knew I was connected to my network, but couldn't find the shared music on my MBP.

I assume iOS 8.4 dispensed with the ability in an attempt to push users towards AppleMusic, but apparently there were enough complaints that it reappeared under iOS 9, but in no intuitive fashion. It took quite some digging to find where it had been hidden.

Anyway, once you've found it, it works as well as it ever did.

Ok great, just wasn't clear if you needed help or not. That's all.