What's new

What does 4S mean?

srlanza

Reaction score
I don't have an iPhone yet as I'm waiting for my current cell phone contract to expire next month. I plan to buy an iPhone then. I have an iMac, iPod Touch, and an iPad 2, so I'm familiar with a lot of the basics. I understand the basic iPhone improvements that were announced yesterday. But, I'm confused as to the significance of the "S" in "4S". Does the "S" have a meaning? Or is it kind of Apple "code" that really means the 4S is like a 4 1/2; more features than the 4 but not enough new features to start a new generation, the 5.
I'm curious since I was planning to get my first iPhone next month. But since I'm a bit confused as to what "4S" means, I'm wondering if I should wait until the 5 is announced & available.
Thanks.

The "S" stand for Speed.

Is there some rationale for not naming it iPhone 5? Speed isn't the only improvement, as I understand it. There are camera changes, Siri, improved retina display, GSM and CDMA, etc.

Sheri

Because the shape it exactly like the iPhone 4 so this new one keeps the same name of iPhone 4, but to mark the difference between the 2 they add the most important element the new iPhone 4 is having which is the speed, then they call it iPhone 4s "s" standing for seep, they would have call it iPhone 5 if it wasn't having the same exact shape like the iPhone 4. It's just like the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS.

Because the shape it exactly like the iPhone 4 so this new one keeps the same name of iPhone 4, but to mark the difference between the 2 they add the most important element the new iPhone 4 is having which is the speed, then they call it iPhone 4s "s" standing for seep, they would have call it iPhone 5 if it wasn't having the same exact shape like the iPhone 4. It's just like the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS.

Since I wasn't looking at iPhones when the 3G & 3GS came out, I never thought about how they differed. Thanks for the explanation. I guess the bottom line is that it will probably be awhile until iPhone 5 is announced so I should go ahead and get the 4S, particularly since it is a definite upgrade from the 4.

Thanks .

Sheri

Since I wasn't looking at iPhones when the 3G & 3GS came out, I never thought about how they differed. Thanks for the explanation. I guess the bottom line is that it will probably be awhile until iPhone 5 is announced so I should go ahead and get the 4S, particularly since it is a definite upgrade from the 4.

Thanks .

Sheri

The iPhone 5 could be anywhere from 6 months to a full year out. It's not likely Apple would release a newer phone after just announcing a new phone. They are usually spaced apart a year. And yes, the iPhone 4S is a significant upgrade from the iPhone 4. Perhaps the S should stand for Significant ;)