What's new

What are you doing right NOW??? ;)

Convention registration? Enjoy your first Worldcon, it can only happen once.:) Mine was way back in 1994 in Winnipeg, Manitoba at ConAdian.
Maybe you'll be able to make it to San Jose next year.
Did you visit every Worldcon since then, except for last year's?

Next year? No idea yet. I'll need to save up enough money, then I can decide whether or not to get there.
Dublin in 2019 would be very interesting. I always wanted to see Ireland.

Did you visit every Worldcon since then, except for last year's?

Next year? No idea yet. I'll need to save up enough money, then I can decide whether or not to get there.
Dublin in 2019 would be very interesting. I always wanted to see Ireland.
I didn’t go to the 95-99 worldcons but went to every one from 2000 to 2015. If you’re thinking of Dublin in 2019, make sure to vote for them in site selection.
If you do decide to go to San Jose next year, it’s not that far from Cupertino. They’re only 12 kilometres apart. You could make a side trip to see the new Apple campus.

Last edited:
Internalizing this.:)
44514ED3-FC1C-4553-A5DF-D085C281377A.jpeg

I didn’t go to the 95-99 worldcon but went to every one from 2000 to 2015. If you’re thinking of Dublin in 2019, make sure to vote for them in site selection.
If you do decide to go to SAN Jose next year, it’s not that far from Cupertino. They’re only 12 kilometres apart. You could make a side trip to see the new Apple campus.
I've already voted for Dublin (the only Worldcon bid for 2019).

Waiting for my first panel to start. There don't seem to be enough seats for all the people attending their very first Worldcon.
The problem is that they don't know in advance how many first time world con attendees will show up to any particular world con and room assignments are based on the best estimate on how many people are likely to attend a particular program item. That's why it's better to get to the program items as fast as possible. This especially applies to such events as the Masquerade and the Hugo Award ceremony which are almost always held in facilities that can't accommodate the entire membership.

Last edited:
The problem is that they don't knowingly advance how many first time world con attendees will show up to any particular world con and room assignments are based on the best estimate on how many people are likely to attend a particular program item. That's why it's better to get to the program items as fast as possible. This especially applies to such events as the Masquerade and the Hugo Award ceremony which are almost always held in facilities that can't accommodate the entire membership.
I've already noticed that.
Those that were standing had to leave the room, for security reasons. I was lucky, I found an empty seat.

We were told that the number of attending members is almost as high as Loncon 3.

I've already noticed that.
Those that were standing had to leave the room, for security reasons. I was lucky, I found an empty seat.

We were told that the number of attending members is almost as high as Loncon 3.
That total will rise as many people buy their membership during the registration process. the final total won't be known until the convention is over. Running totals are normally published in the daily newsletter.

I vote Ireland, always wanted to go there. I've lived in Cali, except for the opportunity to see the new campus it's nothing special.

Ok, it really is nice and tons to do (in SoCal) but I really really want to see Ireland... [emoji41]

I vote Ireland, always wanted to go there. I've lived in Cali, except for the opportunity to see the new campus it's nothing special.

Ok, it really is nice and tons to do (in SoCal) but I really really want to see Ireland... [emoji41]
Worldcon will be in San Jose next year and will almost certainly be in Dublin in 2019, seeing as its currently the only bid on the ballot. I wouldn't mind going to both conventions. I was in San Jose in 2002 and didn't have enough time to see everything I wanted to see. Dublin will be completely new for me.

That total will rise as many people buy their membership during the registration process. the final total won't be known until the convention is over. Running totals are normally published in the daily newsletter.
4,759 were here yesterday. Due to capacity issues, they have to close sales of day passes. Just 100 people per day are allowed to register, from today on. So the numbers won't change immensely.

I see people complaining on Facebook and in the Slack app, because they couldn't attend a panel they were intending to, instead of trying a different one. Has that been the same in previous years?