What's new

Wanting to switch from Android, I have a question about some iOS capabilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkDF

Reaction score
I've had the Motorola Droid 1 for over 2 years now and have had an upgrade sitting at Verizon just waiting for me for a while. But then I picked up an iPad 1 over a year ago and use it constantly so I'm thinking that it makes sense for my daily use devices to be consistent in use and applications.

My wife has an iPhone and of course I'm familiar with what in general the iOS does through using an Ipad, but there are three issues I don't really know the answer to that I'd like to know.

Since my Droid is pretty slow these days, there are really only 3 things I do with it on a daily basis and I'm curious if an iPhone can do them.

1. I use Google Listen to listen to audiobooks that I subscribe to from podiobooks.com. Google listen will open the iTunes podcast link from the phone's web browser, subscribe, and get the daily updates all OTA without needing any computer connection at all. Will the iPhone do that also? I know how I can get the same files from iTunes on my computer to the phone, but I'd like this to be all OTA as Android does with Google Listen.

2. I'm a big Google Voice user (rarely give out my actual phone number these days). My Android phone has a 3rd party app (VoicePlus) that will automatically (based on a Google contact group I've set up) determine whether to use my Google voice or the basic phone to place a call with. I don't have to decide or think about it, the phone just automatically does it. I know that iOS has Google Voice, but is there any way to have the phone automatically determine what to use? How does Google Voice on an iPhone work anyway? Does it have access to the same contacts that the phone does?

3. I have another 3rd party app (Tasker) that I use all of the time. Given scripts, it will automatically configure the phone based on a variety of situational data (location, WiFi present, time of day, on charger or not, etc, etc). When I'm at home it auto-detects that and sets things accordingly. When it's after 9pm and the phone is charging, that's bed time and it lowers the volume of texts but leaves phone up. When I'm work it does something else, when I plug in the headphones it reacts, etc, etc. Does iPhone have anything like that?

#3 I could live without (although it seems to me that any smartphone should do this as basic behavior), but #1 and #2 are pretty important features to me.

Thanks for any insight you can give.

Please refrain from posting the same question more than once.

Status
Not open for further replies.