What's new

Wanting an Iphone 4 but am a little thrown off

225dirtnasty

Reaction score
I think I am going to upgrade to an Iphone 4 soon and after doing a good bit of reading I am still a little confused and am hoping someone can clear up a few things for me.
1. is the white iphone 4 any thicker than the black?
if so which cases will fit the white?
2. is it true the white iphone 4 drops more calls than the black?
3. is there any advantages to having the black iphone over the white?
4. is it true metal cases will effect signal?

Thanks in advance

1. Yes the White iPhone is slightly thicker than the black. Most cases will still fit but the more snug ones won't. Check with the supplier of you have doubts.

2. Not that I'm aware of

3. No, the only changes are the colour and the slight thickness difference

4. Some people say they do. I don't have any personal experience however...

Unleashed said:
if you can hold off i would wait for the next gen iphone

But he will not be grandfathered under the unlimited data plan if he waita

Thanks for the help , Any ideas of an easy way to find out which cases will not fit without reading pages and pages?

And yeah I am trying to get the unlimited plan since it will be cheaper but not sure if I will be able to get it in time

Consumer Reports measured the black and white iphones and found them to be the same thickness. Apple also came out and said they are the same thickness.

The white iPhone is the same as the black one. I have the white one and have several cases for it and they all fit. I even tried on my husbands military spec case for his black one and it fit. There is no difference between the black iPhone or the white one just the color

Consumer Reports measured the black and white iphones and found them to be the same thickness. Apple also came out and said they are the same thickness.

The white iPhone is the same as the black one. I have the white one and have several cases for it and they all fit. I even tried on my husbands military spec case for his black one and it fit. There is no difference between the black iPhone or the white one just the color

Not according to this. Look at the picture...

http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-4-news-7/white-iphone-4-slightly-thicker-than-black-iphone-4-a-11781/

Pictures mean nothing to me...they can be taken at the wrong angle or changed. I have both the white and black versions in my household and I'm just stating my experiences with 5 different cases

This is from CR. I am an online subscriber:

Mobile Phones
Apple's White iPhone is not thicker than black version
May 2, 2011 11:05 AM

Wearing black is the time-honored technique for appearing thinner without shrinking an inch. Apparently it works for the iPhone 4, as well. Recently an avalanche of news and tech sites reported that the white iPhone 4 was thicker than the black iPhone, even showing side-by-side photos claiming it was 2mm thicker than the black version.
But when we compared a white iPhone 4 with a black iPhone 4 in our Yonkers, NY, lab using high-quality calipers, we found they were both the same thickness (0.37 inches). This supports Apple's assertion that the devices are the same size.
What's more, we also tried several cases we bought for the black iPhone during its antenna trials. These were the Griffin Etch Graphite, a hard-backed case with soft rubber-like sides; Incase's Snap Case, a hard plastic case with a hard plastic sides; and the official iPhone 4 Bumper. All fit the white iPhone 4 as well as they did the black version.
The white iPhone 4 is currently being check-tested for our Ratings. One of the features we'll be looking at is the camera, which purportedly delayed the launch of the white version.
Bottom line: Consumer Reports still recommends that you get a case with your iPhone 4 to mitigate a reception issue our labs confirmed for both the AT&T and Verizon versions of the iPhone 4. But at least you don't have to worry about it not fitting.

Why is it that some are saying certain cases wont fit the white, is it just making conversation or does anyone really know the truth and have seen both at once in person and compared?

When the white iPhone 4 wasn't officially released, there were leaked versions of it that surfaced. They have significant differences and I guess that's why some people say that the white is thicker than the black is perhaps they've gotten hands on the leaked version rather than the official one. My white iPhone is no thicker than its black version and just about any iPhone 4 case fits it.

Read more here: Comparison: Difference Between The Official White iPhone 4 and The Leaked White iPhone 4 | BestTechInfo
(Although the thickness was never mentioned here, just the color comparison)

Why is it that some are saying certain cases wont fit the white, is it just making conversation or does anyone really know the truth and have seen both at once in person and compared?

certain cases will not fit the white iphone because the white iphone is a bit ticker than the black one, and since most of the case was made for the black iphone, some of those cases which are hard will not fit the white iphone.

225dirtnasty said:

We have one of each in my house. I have put them side by side and tried my white one out with my husbands case(which is a lot like an otterbox) and I have several cases for mine. I think people just quote what they read with no practical knowledge because I have seen no discernible difference in the way our phones fit in the cases.