What's new

Voicemail problem

muks

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have setup my voicemail a number of times and each time i go to retrieve a voicemail, it runs through the setup process again and again, i was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue beacuse it starting to irritate me to an extend that i dont want to use voicemail anymore.

I have followed the steps of putting a password and so forth.

Your help would be appreciated.

It happens when you touch a message in visual voicemail? Never heard of this...the only time it should prompt you to set up is when you hit the "greeting" button on the top left.

Once you have completed the setup by calling #1 you should be good to go. Be sure you complete and save your changes not just hang up once you have set a few things.

I have the exact same problem. I have repeatedly set it up, and every time I close the phone in the multitask bar and them go back into voice mail, it does it again. Did you ever get it fixed?

No, i have not fixed it as yet, everyone thought i was going mad but at least im not the only one experiencing this problem. Will let you know if someone comes back to me or if i get a solution. Could i ask if you do get a solution to let me know?
It's quiet annoying, but i dont go into my voicemail that often, once or twice a week.

No, i have not fixed it as yet, everyone thought i was going mad but at least im not the only one experiencing this problem. Will let you know if someone comes back to me or if i get a solution. Could i ask if you do get a solution to let me know?
It's quiet annoying, but i dont go into my voicemail that often, once or twice a week.

Give apple a call they will walk you thru it.

I have the same problem (I think). Every time I shut my iPhone4 off I lose all of my voicemail settings. When I turn the phone back on I need to set up my voicemail all over again. If I forget to set up my voicemail and someone attempts to leave me a voice message, they get a recording saying the mailbox is full (it isn't). I turn the phone on and off by holding the button on the top of the phone and the button on the front of the phone simultaneously for about 3 seconds.
Why turn my phone off? I use it to read at night and leave it on a bedside table all night. Some crazy scientist somewhere tells me that if I leave the phone on all night near my head that the microwaves will scramble my brains or something. I wonder if Airplane Mode would also effectively shut down the cellular unit?
So anyhow, for me, turning off my phone every night totally removes any voicemail settings that I had, and I need to set it up again in the morning if I ever remember to. Annoying.

Last edited:
You are actually doing a soft reset. The correct way to turn you phone off is to hold the lock button until the red slider appears then slide to turn off.

Thanks DannyBoy. I set up my voicemail again. I can keep going back to it and as long as I don't turn my phone off my voicemail, it remains set up and people can leave voice messages for me. If I turn off the phone (using only the button on the top of the phone then using the slider to power off) and then turn the phone back on, when I go to my voicemail, it always tells me to set up a password and greeting (again) and offers me the button labelled "Set Up Now". Although I was turning off the phone incorrectly, it's seems that turning it off properly hasn't resolved the problem.

I managed to fix mine finally. I backed it up on itunes just in case, then i went into the settings and reset the whole thing. Now it works, even if i turn my phone off or close the phone app. I havent had any issues since.

My visual voicemail no longer stops working after turning my phone off and on. Thanks to BrightS0 I did a full reset and now vm works properly.

Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings

This also reset my wallpaper and deleted the stocks I watch in Stocks, but only a minor annoyance. Easily fixed. I was too lazy to do a backup as BrightS0 suggested.