What's new

Voicemail issues with Verizon iPhone 4S

kozal01

Reaction score
I'm hoping you all might be able to shed some light on an issue I'm having with my voicemail after switching to the 4S from my droid. When I call my voicemail to retrieve my messages it asks for my mailbox number which is apparently different than my voicemail password because I'm not able to access my voicemail. The prompts are totally different than the voicemail setup I was used to with my droid. Does the iPhone have its own voicemail setup? I've found nothing in the settings that allow me to set it up if it is. Anyone else have this issue?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Verizon's voice mail hasn't changed in years but you may want to look into visual voice mail or youmail, both of them you can just hit one button and it plays in speaker mode.
Maybe try 4 zeros or the last 4 of your cell number for the

Verizon's voice mail hasn't changed in years but you may want to look into visual voice mail or youmail, both of them you can just hit one button and it plays in speaker mode.
Maybe try 4 zeros or the last 4 of your cell number for the

Yeah I tried those numbers as well. Two calls to Verizon customer service and they can't figure it out. One tech mentioned the visual voicemail which sounds awesome but if I can't even get into my voicemail I'm not sure how I can set it up. This has got me stumped because I've been with Verizon for almost 10 years and I've used the same voicemail password for as long and now everything is different.

kozal01 said:
Yeah I tried those numbers as well. Two calls to Verizon customer service and they can't figure it out. One tech mentioned the visual voicemail which sounds awesome but if I can't even get into my voicemail I'm not sure how I can set it up. This has got me stumped because I've been with Verizon for almost 10 years and I've used the same voicemail password for as long and now everything is different.

When you hit the phone icon there is a voicemail button on the right, that is where your voice mail is. If you don't set a greeting it will just tell callers that your number is unavailable, you don't need a password, the voicemail is different on the iPhone. If you switch to a dumb phone from the iPhone you would have to reset your voicemail as if it was the first time.
Try that button and see if it works, it will show you who has left voicemail, touch their name and it will play the voicemail through the earpiece speaker, unless you hit the speaker phone button at the top.

When you hit the phone icon there is a voicemail button on the right, that is where your voice mail is. If you don't set a greeting it will just tell callers that your number is unavailable, you don't need a password, the voicemail is different on the iPhone. If you switch to a dumb phone from the iPhone you would have to reset your voicemail as if it was the first time.
Try that button and see if it works, it will show you who has left voicemail, touch their name and it will play the voicemail through the earpiece speaker, unless you hit the speaker phone button at the top.

When I click on that it calls my voicemail number and I get those prompts that ask for my mailbox number.

Your mailbox number is your phone number. Then it should prompt you for your passcode.

Ive also tried that. I tried it using it with my area code, without the area code, the last 4 digits and everything in between. Either Im just retarded or this phone is messed up, Im hoping its the fist option though. lol

It's crazy that Vz. just didn't reset your voicemail for you. Was that even brought up by them in process while you spoke?

It's crazy that Vz. just didn't reset your voicemail for you. Was that even brought up by them in process while you spoke?

It was but the tech that tried said he wasnt able to do it from his end for some reason, thats why Im starting to think this isnt just user error.

kozal01 said:
It was but the tech that tried said he wasnt able to do it from his end for some reason, thats why Im starting to think this isnt just user error.

Try entering four 9's when it ask for your password

A little update on my voicemail issue. I stopped into the Verizon store today to see if they could help me out and low and behold someone else had been in hours ago with the same issue. It's an apple software issue that has to be taken care of by them. I'm glad it wasnt me, I was starting to question my sanity! My phone for some reason has no option anywhere on it to set up the voicemail account. I'm going to call apple later tonight and I will update this thread with their fix for it.

Ok so finally after talking to two different people at apple care who said it was not a software issue but a carrier issue. (Verizon) Soooo another call to Verizon cs and they finally resolved it. Apparently they didn't activate some thing with the visual voicemail on their end when the phone was activated, so now its working. That visual voicemail is pretty slick!

kozal01 said:
Ok so finally after talking to two different people at apple care who said it was not a software issue but a carrier issue. (Verizon) Soooo another call to Verizon cs and they finally resolved it. Apparently they didn't activate some thing with the visual voicemail on their end when the phone was activated, so now its working. That visual voicemail is pretty slick!

That's great but Verizon should have been able to resolve it in the first place. Glad it's working and yes, visual voicemail is cool.