What's new

Voicemail issues

hemifever

Reaction score
I upgraded to 4 iphones. 2 of them are iphone 5's and 2 are iphone 4s'

The 4s voicemails work great. Both of our 5's no longer function. When you dial my number and get vm, a msg comes on saying to enter the 10 digit mailbox for the person on the system. My number is not recognized. i talked with verizon who tried to reset it with no luck. Then they stated there had been an update to the phone that affected voicemail on the iphone 5's and a fix was in the works.

is this true? is this an iphone 5 issue?

If that is what Verizon have told you then why are you questioning it?

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

If that is what Verizon have told you then why are you questioning it?

Surely you've talked to Verizon reps before to know the answer to ur question

I've had my five since release day - no issues at all with voicemail. And I've seen no updates pushed to my phone either. Perhaps you may wish to speak to another VZW rep - did you call or visit a store? Sometimes you will get different answers at different stores.

I'm also assuming the mod's response was probably light sarcasm directed at VZW reps - we've all "been there received that".. :)

Surely you've talked to Verizon reps before to know the answer to ur question

I was being sarcastic because I have heard all about Verizon reps. I haven't been unfortunate enough to have to deal with any as I live in the uk :)

My local verizon store said it's got to be mostly Apple that has the issue. They were confused with the error but did acknowledge the recording I get is a Verizon system error. I called Apple and they stated they have no iphone 5 issues with voicemail and it would be an issue with the provider ie verizon. Apple says verizon, verizon says apple. If it was apple, I'd expect the millions of AT&T folks to have issues as well so I do lean towards a Verizon issue. Unless my 2 phones are wacked.

cuskit, is yours operating fine with Verizon?

hemifever said:
I upgraded to 4 iphones. 2 of them are iphone 5's and 2 are iphone 4s'

The 4s voicemails work great. Both of our 5's no longer function. When you dial my number and get vm, a msg comes on saying to enter the 10 digit mailbox for the person on the system. My number is not recognized. i talked with verizon who tried to reset it with no luck. Then they stated there had been an update to the phone that affected voicemail on the iphone 5's and a fix was in the works.

is this true? is this an iphone 5 issue?

I just ordered my iPhone 5 yesterday. Before I left the sales lady at Verizon told me that when I get my phone, I will need to set it up again with a new message. I didn't think anything of if, but now that you have mentioned it--all my other phone upgrades were able to transfer my VM greeting without issue. I will have to see how mine goes when my iphone comes--November 9 is the date!

Will keep you posted. BTW...I have always received good customer care from Verizon. I guess I must be lucky in light of what I see here from other members.

I have been on VZW since the day they entered DFW. I have been on iPhones since March 31st 2011. All I have EVER done as I changed out each iPhone was to back it up in iTunes and then restore that backup to the new phone. Never had a single problem with voice mail nor have I touched it since March 31st 2011.

I have been on VZW since the day they entered DFW. I have been on iPhones since March 31st 2011. All I have EVER done as I changed out each iPhone was to back it up in iTunes and then restore that backup to the new phone. Never had a single problem with voice mail nor have I touched it since March 31st 2011.

Well that's good to know. This is my first iphone, this is new territory for me.

What I find funny is, how many settings DON'T carry over 100% or at least require you to reenter a password (IE Email). But for some reason, voice mail carriers over perfectly every time.

Here is one that annoyed me. iOS 6 when you back it up on a 4S and restore it on an iPhone 5 doesn't carry over the preference for automatically downloading apps on a shared iTunes account. And if it wasn't for a warning message I got when I went into Settings, I would have never thought to dig that deep to flip the settings back on.

For the life of me I can't fathom why they would turn them off on a restore since it doesn't hurt the phone is any way, shape or form. GO iOS dev team!

That is good to know and that you have brought this up for other members to see. I can only imagine the time invested to discover that the settings were turned off. I also noticed that a lot of my notification settings on my ipad and ipod were also turned off as well with the ios 6 update.

Hemi- to answer your question: no, I've no issues with VZW at all.

But, I just realized you are perhaps talking about when you remotely call in to retrieve your messages? I hadn't checked that - I always retrieve my messages through the mail icon on my phone itself. I'll have to dial it up and see what happens.

Okay, back and all is well. I pressed the pound symbol once my outgoing message (the generic that comes with the phone) started - it prompted me for my 4 digit code. I tapped that in and it gave me a count on my messages. So, all is well with that particular end of my voicemail with VZW.

And by the way - my four digit code was set up on my previous Droid - I never set up an outgoing message nor changed the code when I transferred all my info from the Droid setup to the Apple phone. So, that was apparently ported over when VZW set up my new phone? I know for sure I never did anything for that, nor did the store rep ask me for any code when he initially set up my phone. And I did not physically have the Droid with me when they did that as I had a broken screen on the Droid - which is why I bought the iPhone5 in the first place.

mike

Last edited:
apparently an app called Onavo will disable visual voicemail on the iphone 5. I don't see that I've ever installed that and I don't know how to determine if it's on the phone from some sort of "update".