What's new

Voice to text sucks!

Shanechicago

Reaction score
Does anyone else have issues with iPhone voice to text feature? I get so frustrated every time I try to use it because I have to edit almost every word that I say. I use very distinct and clear pronunciations and Siri almost always gets it wrong. Constant editing is driving me nuts!

Come on Apple! By now you should have it perfected. When I was on android I never had an issue at all!!!

I said the word "began" and this was the result every time: Bee Gann, beacon, pecan, again... I almost threw my phone against the wall!!!

Welcome to iPhoneForums!

I do hope you're aware that we're not affiliated with Apple. We're a community discussing iPhones, and trying to help others with problems.

I can't help with your problem, because that's a feature that doesn't work here in Austria. I'm sure someone who knows how to help will post within the next few days.

In the meantime, I ask for your patience. Posting the same issue more than once will not help solving your problem, on the contrary, it will be confusing for others to follow the discussion. So please keep your posts about this issue to this thread only!

Does anyone else have issues with iPhone voice to text feature? I get so frustrated every time I try to use it because I have to edit almost every word that I say. I use very distinct and clear pronunciations and Siri almost always gets it wrong. Constant editing is driving me nuts!

Come on Apple! By now you should have it perfected. When I was on android I never had an issue at all!!!

I said the word "began" and this was the result every time: Bee Gann, beacon, pecan, again... I almost threw my phone against the wall!!!

I usually don't have a problem with Siri or voice to text. I also know that pronunciation, accent and other factors plays an important factor in being understood for voice recognition. Does this "suck" on the iPhone, not at all in my experiences. I don't have any experience with voice recognition with Android, but if it was that important to me, I would choose what best suits my needs.
Example...
IMG_0936.jpg

I don't know what you're experiencing, since my text-to-speech is incredibly accurate. I've been using it with Siri on the phone and my watch and I'm always impressed with how well it can detect what I'm saying.

I've even been in noisey rooms where there's a lot of background noise and I have to yell into the watch and it STILL manages to be bang on.

I'm gonna chalk up your issue to user error. Or your command of the English language, maybe you use too much slang or incorrect grammar. Siri is trying to help you out, but she might just be throwing in the towel and giving up.

Well, I have the same problem and I use voice to text and Siri quite often. Sometimes it works correctly, and sometimes it does not.

^ his comment was a tad mean...

My pronunciation is spot on, my command of the American English language is also spot on, as well as my grammar, so thats not an issue in my situation. I have read that sadly, apple is lagging behind other companies (google, Amazon, for example) with voice recognition technology, so your situation is not unique. I'd suggest sending a message to apple commenting on your issue. Personally, I've made the attempt to "teach" Siri how to pronounce hard/unique words, but she doesn't always get it. I'm not bothered by it, I accept that it is what it is, but I do understand your frustrations.

Take care!!

You might try blowing out the microphone at the bottom with compressed air. I work with a lot of dust and after a while it can seem to plug it up a bit. Also try it without the case as some inhibit the sound reaching the mic clearly.

Not I. I’ve had Great luck with The speech to text. It catches every word perfectly. I even got it to spell supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!!! And that is nough said LOL!!

YOUR ARE 100% CORRECT -- VOICE TO TEXT IS A JOKE

NICE TRY BLAMING IT ON THE USER -- IMESSENGER VOICE TO TEXT SIMPLY SUCKS
OF COURSE WE MAY NOT NOT HAVE THE SAME COMMAND OF THE LANGUAGE AS YOU -- NOT

My ears thank you for being loud enough to hear from such a long distance [emoji23][emoji13]

The Siri can go wrong if the pronunciation is not very standard.In addition, the ambient noise should not be too loud.

NICE TRY BLAMING IT ON THE USER -- IMESSENGER VOICE TO TEXT SIMPLY SUCKS
OF COURSE WE MAY NOT NOT HAVE THE SAME COMMAND OF THE LANGUAGE AS YOU -- NOT
Please show respect to the other forum members who are just trying to help. People have varying levels of success with voice to text. The fact that you have problems doesn’t meant that the whole thing is defective.