What's new

Voice Actions lets you control your iPhone via voice commands

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
mzl.acpdhkuy.320x480-75.jpg

Google launched Voice Actions for Android almost one year ago. The feature allows users to control the main Android handset functions using simple voice commands. One year later, on June 8, 2011 Apple launched the Voice Actions app in its AppStore which integrates some of the commands introduced in the above video in iOS devices.

To send an email via Voice Actions users need only to utter the text and the command. If they need to translate an idiom, they must first utter the command and then the idiom and the iOS gadget translates it instantly. Users can also have their phone play a track, set a reminder or alarm, call a contact, search certain words on Google, open Safari or check the weather forecast.

Voice Action could be a useful app in everyday life. To find what the shortest route to a certain place is, users only need to utter the destination and Voice Actions offers a map of that location via Google maps.

Pannous GmbH, the app’s developer promises that users can activate all those features via simple voice commands. The app is available for purchase for 4 Euros, but the developer’s description sounds just too good to be true. Some functions the developer has boasted about may not be available after all.
The system is based on the Nuance technology which could officially land in Apple’s camp in iOS 5 if Apple decides to integrate the technology in the gold master version of iOS 5.

By Radu Tyrsina
Source: Voice Actions for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

I'll need convincing,

Times I have tried "dial wife mobile" and got the mother in law or the tax office :(.

CP

I'll need convincing,

Times I have tried "dial wife mobile" and got the mother in law or the tax office :(.

CP

That's for sure. I've had the same disappointing results when attempting to voice dial. And once it decides to dial the wrong person there's no turning back until the call is ringing. In my case the few times I've tried it I've ended up calling a cllent by mistake.

You can shout 'cancel', likely youvwil then play a song.

Voice dial IMHO on the iPhone is very poor, compared to Nokia's and the Mercedes in car version, where you can give the command and call out the contact or number as though talking to a secretary, faultless operation.

But then their very expensive inbuilt satnav system is little more than tragic lol!

CP

You can shout 'cancel', likely youvwil then play a song.

Voice dial IMHO on the iPhone is very poor, compared to Nokia's and the Mercedes in car version, where you can give the command and call out the contact or number as though talking to a secretary, faultless operation.

But then their very expensive inbuilt satnav system is little more than tragic lol!

CP

My old phone was an LG-VX8300 (just a basic "not smartphone"). I used it with a Parrot bluetooth handsfree speaker unit in the car. The voice dialing feature worked great 99% of the time. The nice thing was that it always double-checked with you before dialing. It would repeat what it believed to be your dialing command contact and you then confirmed with a simple "Yes" before it would dial. So for the occasional time that it didn't work, you always had a chance to decline before it dialed. It was a nearly foolproof system.

Imagine my surprise to find that not only did my new, expensive iPhone "smartphone" not understand my voice dialing commands, but it didn't even have the common sense to confirm the command before dialing. It's like having a dog that responds to a "sit" command by running over and peeing in the neighbor's yard. Not at all what you had intended. It's very disappointing to me that not only could Apple not do it as well as LG, but that they failed miserably at the whole concept as if it had never successfully been done before.

If it wasn't for the fact that I like so much else about my iPhone, it would probably really tick me off. It sure would be nice if Apple put some effort into fixing this though. In the meantime I can accept calls by voice through my new handsfree Jabra Freeway speaker unit, but I can't dial out by voice. Not the end of the world, but not a minor inconvenience either.

As one who rides motorbikes not being able to voice dial is a pain. Not that use while riding but it is a gaff when stopped to remove helmet and gloves especially when raining

Maybe io5 will be better, but in truth I have no joy with dragon dictate on the iPhone either, so i won't hold my breath
:(.

CP

The voice dial will state the name then ask which number to use, home, mobile, iPhone etc. So a work around for checking correct selection, would be to have a 'null' number as 'other' in every contact.

Incorrect selection you ca nay no or cancel.

CP

The voice dial will state the name then ask which number to use, home, mobile, iPhone etc. So a work around for checking correct selection, would be to have a 'null' number as 'other' in every contact.

Incorrect selection you ca nay no or cancel.

CP

Silly, isn't it, that a person would have to use a workaround such as this when it should just work right to begin with.

DaveM said:
Silly, isn't it, that a person would have to use a workaround such as this when it should just work right to begin with.

Agreed, but then the iphone4 is brilliant in many other ways, and is not any smartphone a compromise of good/bad points?

O don't miss the constant locking up of the HTC's on windows mobile as example.
When I bought my iphone4 it had no facility to switch off/on voice male, I had to ring my provider.

Apple have addressed this oversight in later updates at least, so is there hope yet of perfection?

CP

Agreed, but then the iphone4 is brilliant in many other ways, and is not any smartphone a compromise of good/bad points?

O don't miss the constant locking up of the HTC's on windows mobile as example.
When I bought my iphone4 it had no facility to switch off/on voice male, I had to ring my provider.

Apple have addressed this oversight in later updates at least, so is there hope yet of perfection?

CP

I want it all, and I want it now! :)

Yep, you're right. Any phone is going to have its weaknesses. For me this particular problem just happens to be the one that stands above all the others. Those who don't have a use for voice dialing wouldn't even know that it's a weak point. Undoubtedly the iPhone has other issues that are important to some but I don't care about.

Guys you realize that the voice actions application shown here is not the inbuit voice dialer?

pannous said:
Guys you realize that the voice actions application shown here is not the inbuit voice dialer?

Ah! But also dose the iPhone realise that?

:) :) :()

CP