What's new

Google Adds Voice Search to iOS App

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score

Google has today announced that it has launched a new version of its iOS Search app, complete with enhanced voice search. Could this be Google’s attempt to take on Siri at her own game? Posting about the new update in the official Google Blog, Google said that the app will answer any question you ask using Google search results, via “fast and accurate voice recognition technology” that ensures that Google understands what you’re telling it. Google says that the use of Knowledge Graph in its search technology helps the app to answer questions about people and places in the real world, or to immediately fulfil a command such as asking it to play a trailer from the new James Bond film. Google will even speak the answers back at you, in Siri fashion, if the question can be answered quickly. Will be interesting to see how well this works!

Click here to download the free app: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google-search/id284815942?mt=8

Source: Official Google Blog: Google’s most advanced voice search has arrived on iOS

Last edited by a moderator:
Been using it all morning. It make Siri's speech recognition look like a complete joke. Can only hope that Apple will finally make nice with Google and use Google's tech over their own.

Been using it all morning. It make Siri's speech recognition look like a complete joke. Can only hope that Apple will finally make nice with Google and use Google's tech over their own.

In the wise words of Will Smith, "aww hell naw." Well there's a higher chance of a Google and Apple collab but it'll be REALLY awkward, since they are after all competitors.

Skull One said:

Totally agree, as I said before Siri is a complete joke. The only thing it does well is set appointments - and that's only because apple will not open that up to allow other vendors to do that.
It does not work half as well as the built in nuance on recognizing names in my address book.

Just so everyone is clear, I was commenting that the Siri speech recognition compared to the Google version is severely lacking. If you dictate several sentence to them, Google has a much higher accuracy rate. Also Google's works in real time where as Siri has to do back end processing and then return the result.

She needs a moment to think, a restroom break with a girlfriend. You know. :)

I have been dating the same woman for 30 years. Married for 26 of them. STILL don't understand why she and our daughters always go to the bathroom at the same time when we are at a restaurant. If I didn't know any better, I would say they were doing it just so I look like a tool sitting there all by myself with 3 or 4 empty plates.

On the flipside, I tried Google Search but it didn't understand half of what I said, whereas Siri does. Guess the term "YMMV" comes into it.

SJ2571 said:
On the flipside, I tried Google Search but it didn't understand half of what I said, whereas Siri does. Guess the term "YMMV" comes into it.

Curious, but where are you? Wonder if it's a location thing.

I really like it...It is super fast...and does a great job understanding me even in noisy conditions,and is much better than Siri in doing this..so I think it compliments Siri rather well. It would be nice if the new folks in charge just said...use it to it's fullest and let Siri go away...but I know they won't go that far.

BTW...I showed a co-worker last night how good it works for searching..and he went to his android app store to download it to his stock Galaxzy II...and it wasn't there. He's still waiting (like the majority of Android users) for his Jelly Bean update...lol...lol...lol.

He totally wigged out about Goggle releasing it for us...but not those on Androids running ICS...I told him to root his GII and add it in..but he doesn't want to. He feels if Google shouldn't have made it available to Apple..before all Androids so...he is really PO'd...The old us vs them mentality I suppose...

I think that was the last straw for him...since he told me a little while ago he is soon to make the switch toi a I-5 after X-mas when his contract is up.

I also think it's rather funny myself...but I am sure there are plenty of other folks out there that feel the same with the us vs them outlook...me...I use what works for what I need it for...regardless of who makes it..

Mac

Last edited:
Curious, but where are you? Wonder if it's a location thing.
It words that Google Search didn't understand, not my location. I'm on the Gold Coast in Australia. But as an example: if I say "where's my nearest Oporto", Siri completely understands the noun and shows me, but Google Search doesn't get the word "Oporto" and suggested other things.