What's new

Video received as attachment

rlee131

Reaction score
I am a new user of the iphone I received a video (20mb) attachment but when I attempt to open it I get a message "the attachment is too large to be viewed"
Other than convert the file on my PC and email to myself or sync in iTunes, is there any way I can just watch video on the iPhone, or is this just another one of those things that an apple product cannot do? I get the same message when I try to download on my iPad too.

Thanks

Last edited:
Are you using wifi or 3G?

It may be the file type that can't be played. As you say you can convert it and get it to work. Download vlc media player free from the app store it should play it.

I have heard that there's a 20mb download limit over 3G, but, no limit on WiFi. If you are using WiFi and it's not working, you could try DropBox. Have you and your sender join DropBox (free for 2GB). Then he can drag and drop the files you need into DropBox public folder and send you the URL, then you can download it without any trouble. DropBox is handy for many other things, too. For instance, you could edit the file and it will sync with the inbox at DropBox and he could see what you did to it.

Are you using wifi or 3G?

It may be the file type that can't be played. As you say you can convert it and get it to work. Download vlc media player free from the app store it should play it.
Thanks I was hoping there was a way to just be able to play the file when I receive it but I guess not. It is a mpg file and I guess the iphone and ipad will not play it. If I convert it using handbrake it will play when emailed. The vic player will play it but you have to go through itunes and set it up.
Thanks for your response

I have heard that there's a 20mb download limit over 3G, but, no limit on WiFi. If you are using WiFi and it's not working, you could try DropBox. Have you and your sender join DropBox (free for 2GB). Then he can drag and drop the files you need into DropBox public folder and send you the URL, then you can download it without any trouble. DropBox is handy for many other things, too. For instance, you could edit the file and it will sync with the inbox at DropBox and he could see what you did to it.
Thanks for your response. I am on wifi It will not play from drop box either. Seems to be a file format issue I guess It is a mpg file If I convert using handbrake then email it or put it drop box it will play. I was hoping I could just "play" the file when I received it in an email.. Appears that cannot happen.
Thanks again

rlee131,

Welcome to the format/codex wars. Why in the world, do we need so many formats?

Yep, mpg won't work on iPhone directly. Thats windows format. Apple no like windows!

:camera: :camera: :camera: :camera:
Hello friends,,,,,,,,,sneha here,,I am a new user of the iphone I received a video (20mb) attachment but when I attempt to open it I get a message "the attachment is too large to be viewed" Other than convert the file on my PC and email to myself or sync in iTunes, is there any way I can just watch video on the iPhone, or is this just another one of those things that an apple product cannot do? I get the same message when I try to download on my iPad too..............Thanks with warms.......

did you try VLC Player?