What's new

Very old jailbreak, need to update IOS

Tyge

New Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2012
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Hello,
I've got the early version of the iPhone 4, bought it the first day they were on sale. I used Jailbreakme.com to jailbreak this one but that was about two years ago and I need to update my IOS.

My phone is running IOS 4.0.1
From what I've read, there is no untethered jailbreak for 5.1, so what would you do?
Download and install 5.0.1? Then jailbreak with redsnow?

Since my version of IOS is so outdated, I'm afraid to take the jump.
 

zig9449

New Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2011
Messages
3,206
Reaction score
108
Location
PA
First thing is first.

Download Tiny Umbrella version 5.10.10

plug in iphone

Open Tiny Umbrella

Click the "Save SHSH" button.

whatever shows in the list is what you can restore to. You cannot restore to "any" version of iOS before 5.1 without those SHSH blobs.

so checking Tiny Umbrella to see what SHSH you have is "step #1" in this process.
 

Thomasjtsi

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2011
Messages
7,523
Reaction score
451
Location
Missouri, USA
+1... zig has outlined a very good course of action to start with. Also, let us know what Baseband your iPhone is on. Go into Settings>General>About.. and tell us what's next to "Modem Firmware." If it's on 1.59.00 then DO NOT Update to iOS 5.1 via iTunes. Only update w/ a Custom Firmware to preserve that Baseband. An iPhone 4 w/ BB 1.59.00 is quite valuable in terms of Unlocking. :)
 
Last edited:

Wezal9877

New Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2012
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
download 5.0.1 restore here>http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...ple-ios-firmware-download-links-iphone-17213/
then download redsnow here>Dev-Team Blog
download tiny umbrella here>The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella
ok in tiny umbrella save shsh's then in red snow click extras custom ispw when done a new restore will pop up and say no bb so go back to redsnow click shsh blobs then in there click stitch find ur ispw that says no bb after it loads find ur shsh for 5.0.1 and let red snow do its thing then a new restore will be there with a bunch of numbers in front then no bb go into itunes hold shift click update find the restore with bunch of numbers and update then let ur iphone do its thing when done go to red snow and follow the jailbreak steps and ur iphone is updated and jailbroken
 
OP
T

Tyge

New Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2012
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Okay, wow, thanks. Lots of good info that should get me back up to par on the updates.
BTW, my BB is 1.59.00, so I guess that's a good thing.
I'll report back later with results.
Thanks again.
 

Thomasjtsi

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2011
Messages
7,523
Reaction score
451
Location
Missouri, USA
Okay, wow, thanks. Lots of good info that should get me back up to par on the updates. BTW, my BB is 1.59.00, so I guess that's a good thing. I'll report back later with results.Thanks again.
Yes, having an iPhone 4 w/ the 1.59.00 BB is a GREAT thing!! You may not be concerned w/ Unlocking your iPhone to use on other carriers but, in the near future if you decied to sell it... it's much more valueable w/ that BB than any other BB. 1.59.00 is the only BB that can be Software Unlocked via ultrasn0w. See here if you're at all interested in what I'm talking about... LOL!! http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-unlocking-69/iphone-unlocking-guide-beginners-35540/
 
OP
T

Tyge

New Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2012
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
I've never needed the unlock, been with AT&T since my first bag phone. (Except they weren't called AT&T then).

I am, however, a bit hung up on this upgrade.

Dowloaded, installed and ran TinyUmbrella.
Saved SHSH
Downloaded the 5.0.1 ispw file, saved it.
Ran redsnOw, tried to follow step by step instructions from Wezal9877 (Thanks for that, by the way), but must have done something wrong because I was a bit confused. When I go back to iTunes I only see my last backup available for the restore, not the 5.0.1.ispw file or option. Not quite sure what to do now!

Could really use some more help I guess. LOL
 

Wezal9877

New Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2012
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
did u hold shift while u click update? that will let u choose an update ispw manually
 

zig9449

New Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2011
Messages
3,206
Reaction score
108
Location
PA
Tyge said:
I've never needed the unlock, been with AT&T since my first bag phone. (Except they weren't called AT&T then).

I am, however, a bit hung up on this upgrade.

Dowloaded, installed and ran TinyUmbrella.
Saved SHSH
Downloaded the 5.0.1 ispw file, saved it.
Ran redsnOw, tried to follow step by step instructions from Wezal9877 (Thanks for that, by the way), but must have done something wrong because I was a bit confused. When I go back to iTunes I only see my last backup available for the restore, not the 5.0.1.ispw file or option. Not quite sure what to do now!

Could really use some more help I guess. LOL

Okay....you can not restore to 5.0.1 unless you have the 5.0.1 SHSH blobs.

If 5.0.1 shows in the big white box in Tiny Umbrella then you can restore to 5.0.1, but not rite away.

You have to build your own custom IPSW with the 5.0.1 IPSW you downloaded.

One thing at a time mate. You are getting ahead of your self and jumping rite to the restore.

There is still 3 things you need to do before touching iTunes.


In order for me to help you answer this one question first

Does iOS 5.0.1 show up in the list when you click the "Save SHSH"button in Tiny Umbrella?
 
OP
T

Tyge

New Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2012
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
I did not hold down shift then update, never got that far. I never saw the 5.0.1 update available in Tiny Umbrella.

Sorry guys. I'm pretty quick on computer matters but having a tough time with this one. Appreciete the help.
 

zig9449

New Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2011
Messages
3,206
Reaction score
108
Location
PA
Wezal9877 said:
i told him all that in my instructions

Yes I know, but he never said of he actually had the 5.0.1 SHSH blobs. He just said he ran Tiny Umbrella.
 

zig9449

New Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2011
Messages
3,206
Reaction score
108
Location
PA
Tyge said:
I did not hold down shift then update, never got that far. I never saw the 5.0.1 update available in Tiny Umbrella.

Sorry guys. I'm pretty quick on computer matters but having a tough time with this one. Appreciete the help.

If 5.0.1 does not show in the big white box after clicking the "Save SHSH" button in Tiny Umbrella.....then you cannot restore to 5.0.1 period. No way to do it without those 5.0.1 SHSH blobs.

You will have to update to 5.1.
 
OP
T

Tyge

New Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2012
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
I just ran TinyUmbrella again.
It's showing iPhone4 5.1 (9B176) as my only saved SHSH
Still showing 4.0.1 as the IOS
Still showing BB 1.59.00-ICE_2_6

What is the current version of redsn0w?
I've got 0.9.10b5c
When I open the program there is a link to a newer version but it just sends me to http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/18906290309/march-mayhem, not a download link. Frustrating!
 
Last edited:

zig9449

New Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2011
Messages
3,206
Reaction score
108
Location
PA
Tyge said:
I just ran TinyUmbrella again.
It's showing iPhone4 5.1 (9B176) as my only saved SHSH
Still showing 4.0.1 as the IOS
Still showing BB 1.59.00-ICE_2_6

What is the current version of redsn0w?
I've got 0.9.10b5c
When I open the program there is a link to a newer version but it just sends me to http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/18906290309/march-mayhem, not a download link. Frustrating!

The current version of redsn0w is 0.9.10b7.

You can download it here:
https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_win_0.9.10b7.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

That is the Windows version. Alway use the latest redsn0w.

You can check the redsn0w website for it latest updates here:
http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

Because Tiny Umbrella does not have 5.0.1 SHSH, you have absolutely no choice but to stay where you ate or update to 5.1 and have a tethers jailbreak. (old bootrom 3GS will have an untethered 5.1 jailbreak).
 

Most reactions

Latest posts

Top