What's new

Verizon's network has yet to be tested.

So what's the deal? Are you an AT&T fanboy, or are you just pissed because you thought it would be a good idea to use your upgrade on an Incredible a few months ago and don't have it for the iPhone? It's got to be one or the other....[/QUOTE]

First of all, I am not an "AT&T fanboy," I've been a long-time Verizon customer since 2003. Second of all, I have absolutely no interest in another smartphone other than the iphone. My concerns arose from reading different tech blogs, simple as that. Where I live, I get excellent coverage in San Diego; people whom I've talked to about their ATT service couldn't say the same thing (same old "dropped calls here and there" explanation). That said, I still was going to order one last night but after assessing the matter more thoroughly, I've decided to wait until the iphone 5 is released, assuming it will happen this summer; if not, I will just get the iphone 4. I have to admit, the design and size is very appealing. BTW, the tax and fees was ridiculously high for a 32GB model, even after the $50 discount was applied - the total bill came out to be $321.24! The sales tax rate in San Diego is 8.75%, so it should've been $271.86. That begs the question: What good is the $50 discount? Not much IMO.

Seems as if your looking for reasons to NOT purchase the iPhone 4. You have to pay tax on the retail price of any phone you purchase on any network, that's the law in the state we live in.

A discount is a discount, money in your pocket, guess you could tell them you don't want it, seems unwise though.

Waiting for the next generation iPhone seems like a waste of using an awesome phone, while hoping the next one comes out in summer.

I have yet to drop a call on my verizon iphone 4. I dropped them a lot on at&t. VZ ftw

Aren't you a bit worried about how Verizon's network is going to be able to handle all the heavy traffic after the 10th? All the early tests from various tech blogs touting Verizon's strong network for the iphone is a bit misleading I think.

Well, I'm still on the fence whether I should buy the Verizon iphone or switch my service to ATT. I'm probably going to give the Verizon iphone a try, however, several things have crossed my mind if it really is worth buying:

1) data speed - can anyone chime in just how "slow" it is? I mean, if I'm trying to connect to ESPN or CNN are we talking upwards of 20 seconds? Just how "bad" is the youtube quality? From what I've heard, it's not smooth on the Verizon network; I hear there's a lot of pixelation if you try to view streaming videos.

2) resale value - have you given any thought about how much a Verizon iphone will fetch on ebay, for example? I figure since it's a CDMA phone, it won't command as much money as it's ATT counterpart. So if and when the next generation iphone is released this could be a problem, don't you think?

3) iphone 5 release - when you decided to buy your iphone 4 were you aware of the possibility that the iphone 5 might be released in the summer?

4) long-time contract - my Verizon contract is going to come to an end in the near future. If I decide to buy now, I will be signed into a new 2-year contract. If there is one quibble I have with Verizon, it's this, their contract. The iphone 4 is already almost a year old, and when my 2-year contract ends, it will be a nearly 3-year old phone. ATT's policy, I hear, allows iphone customers who are already on a contract are eligible to upgrade at a discounted price - why can't Verizon do this as well?

Buy iphone 4 at full retail from Apple store. Then you are able to get on a month to month contract with VZW.

When new iphone 5 comes out sell your iphone 4 and use the funds towards an iphone 5 at full price(purchase from Apple store) and continue month to month with VZW.

With an AT&T iphone at launch I know you can get at least $300 because it's not worth as much. Right now I can get $450 for my iphone4(AT&T).

So let's say you can get $300 for VZW iphone 4 at iphone 5 launch. It will cost you $300'ish to get an iphone 5.

You can do this every year by buying at no contract.

There are millions of Android and Blackberry smartphones currently on Verizon.

How's this for 'yet to be tested?':

Verizon Smartphones (Droids?) Use More Data than iPhones
This is pretty much what I suspected. I have the Droid Incredible for my personal phone and my wife has the new iPhone 4. I've expected for awhile that Droid users eat more data. Between the widgets and a higher propensity for rooting and playing with data, I figured it was a given.

So did anyone on here buy their iphone from Verizon or Apple? I visited the Apple store yesterday to get some more feedbacks regarding VIphone4, and must say it was encouraging. Their return policy, in case you weren't aware, is 30 days and there is no restocking fee; not to mention, they will offer a free tutorial on how to use the iphone (a big plus for a novice user like me). Really, I want to buy the Viphone4 now, but as I pointed out in my first post, the possibility of an iphone 5 being released in the summer is holding me back. We'll see.

A few more questions: Has anyone experience any dropped calls? If so, how prevalent were they compared to your prior cell phone? What about your data speed - has it been acceptable? Any other issues that have surfaced since owning the iphone? All in all, are you 100% satisfied that you won't be returning your iphone?

100% satisfied I will NOT be returning my iPhone 4!

Not 1 dropped call, but that's Verizon for you, data speeds are quick, no issues whatsoever! I've had my phone for 6 days now, not even a slow to respond app..

I haven't had one dropped call, nor have i experienced one situation where I lost service.

I've had it since last monday.